Pages

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Drink up! - Thematic Photography

The theme this week is drink up, celebrating any form of consumable liquid, and a theme that can be interpreted in many different ways.

This summer in the UK has not given us many chances to sit out and celebrate in the sun so there has only been the odd day like this.

A Half Empty Glass
Or is it half full?

One of my favourite books begins with the line, "It was a cold grey day in November." - the day that Daphne du Maurier's heroine, Mary Yellan, arrived here.

Cornwall's Jamaica Inn
For one reason or another it's several years since I had an alcoholic drink but not so long ago as when this source of water was in everyday use.

Stocks Hill monument, Ketton

The monument at Ketton, the village where I grew up, was erected including the cold water tap to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. Forty years later I was born in a house a stone's throw from Stocks Hills. The only water available twenty years after that was still from a cold water tap on the outside of the house.

Many years later with two children as well the opportunity came to drink up something stronger abroad.

Who's been in the sun
You should be able to date this pair in the process of drinking up from the size of those shoulder pads.

Eat your heart out, Sue Ellen
Just occasionally I managed to get in on the act too, when home from Norway for Christmas.

Brandy, Sir?
They say you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink - not true in this case at least.

Police horses - Rochester, Michigan
There really is only one way to finish this post.


So grab your glass and go over to Thematic-photographic-217-drink-up

14 comments:

Jo said...

Not very English of you not drinking alcohol for a number of years.

I remember Mario Lanza singing that song. I have a copy of the movie made with his voice as background.

Bob Scotney said...

Dr's orders, Jo

Jo said...

Oh, sorry about that. I won't hold you to blame then LOL

Little Nell said...

I thik you were othe sem package holiday as us. I have a similar BBQ photo to yours.

21 Wits said...

What a fabulous end indeed! Of course I have to mention that is the cutest little dog on the table while you are enjoying a beautiful summer day. Which I do believe you had several of while you in Michigan right?! I shall have to go pour myself a glass of wine (half full too!) Thanks Bob! I haven't even had dinner yet!

me said...

As an American, I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoy how you pair photos of what I am sure is common to you, but seems so historic & fascinating to me (Stocks Hill monument, Ketton for example) with photos that I would/could see everyday (family and friends). It is always a pleasure to get a glimpse of your life!

Gilly said...

Interesting shots! That dog is really wee! And the horses are lovely. But I never cared much for Mario Lanza! Think I'm probably in the minority - but then I usually am!

Max Sartin said...

Cute little dog, great pictures.

Alexia said...

I enjoyed seeing all of these - oh those shoulderpads!!

It's nearly wine time here, so I feel for you, Bob - I enjoy my glass of red most evenings.
Cute little toy dog!

Kiwi Nomad said...

Poor pup looks quite bemused by it all!

tony said...

This Summer The Water Came To The Horses!!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Love those horses, Bob.
~

Magaly Guerrero said...

I'm enchanted by the horses, too. And by the after-sun smile ;-)

carmilevy said...

I'm not a drinker, either. No real reason...I just never learned to tolerate it all that well. So I usually stick to iced tea or ginger ale when I'm out and about. Easy...I never have to worry about whether I'm OK to drive.