Pages

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Ship Ahoy - Sepia Saturday

Alan's picture prompt this week this shows the German built SS Imperator arriving in New York on her maiden trans-Atlantic voyage in June 1913.


I'm no sailor as trips across the Channel demonstrate clearly. So I have very few photos to show. However thanks to the Pattinson collection at on the Flickr stream of the Museum of Hartlepool I came up with these two.

Sailing ship and a steam tug
At least I found two funnels on the tug whereas the Imperator has three; if I can count the one funnel on the next shot I suppose I can claim three.

Sailing Ship at Hartlepool Harbour
And the one funnel tug.

I had to resort to my brother's photos from WWII to get some people in the frame.

Aircraft Carrier - Somewhere in England
Unfortunately I don't know whether the carrier had just arrived or whether it was about to depart.

The next two photos were identified as the German battleship Admiral Graf Spee which was scuttled by its Captain off Montevideo in December 1939. I have no means of confirming that this is the Graf Spee but can see the similarities with published pictures and Youtube clips.

Admiral Graf Spee

On a happier note I would love to know where and when this last shot was taken as there are hundreds of people involved.

Open day??
I guess I have done sailing now, so I'll leave you with Rod before you change ships over at Sepia-saturday-146 


 
 





20 comments:

La Crona said...

Rod Stewart there in the end.Exciting photos from the time around WW2 as well.There are a lot of exciting movies where there were battles between submarines and ships from that time too.I have to remember Das Boot, for example.

courtneycotton01@gmail.com said...

You're quick off the mark this week Bob. Loved Rod at the end, he looks a tad seasick to me! Would that photo 'open day??' have been taken the same day as the Aircraft Carrier one? It certainly looks like the same ship or similar in both.

Peter said...

Bob, I agree with Dawn. The people in the picture do not wave at the ships crew nor are they all leaving. It looks like a typical "open day crowd" blessed by fair whether.
May I also suggest that your post is renamed to Ship Ahoy - Sepia Wednesday? :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Bob, thanks for the Rod Stewart! He is so young in that video.

Great pictures and a fun post! I don't know what I am going to do if I go with being on theme this week.

Kathy M.

Janet said...

Wow, I'd forgotten about that song. He looks so young :-)

Little Nell said...

A fleet response? I enjoyed these pictures Bob, and I agree it looks like a family day or open day too. That song by Rod Stewart always make me think of the BBC series 'Sailor' from the 1970s, about life aboard Ark Royal. It would be interesting to see that again, given what happened in the intervening years.

Wendy said...

An aircraft carrier is an amazing vessel -- it's its own world. I like the variety of ships you selected.

Mike Brubaker said...

Not too long ago we would all have long opinions on ships and ports, and ocean voyages. Today it's airlines and airports and the degree to which travel is disagreeable and uncomfortable. And isn't Britain one giant aircraft carrier?

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Bob, open day, it looks a little like the aircraft carrier, an other possibility, migrants boarding the ship. A good and interesting selection of boats despite you not being a sailor boy!

Joy said...

What a queue for the open day, there are even people above those buildings, which in themselves are interesting. Quite a fleet of ships you have moored here this week.

Postcardy said...

I like the one of the aircraft carrier. The crowd of people looks like one at a fair.

21 Wits said...

I have been a fan of Rod forever! This song would have been perfect posted with my story posted! Very interesting! I do enjoy the photos you found, and the one with all it's sails is very much like one I saw a year ago in the water in San Diego, California! Really!

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Great post. I'd love to know about that orderly crowd. The Rod Stewart ending is great.

Anonymous said...

I"ve always liked the little tug boats - maybe due to a childhood book. Enjoyable collection of photos. It looks to me that Rod may be a little uncomfortable lip-synching on a boat.

Bruno Laliberté said...

While I prefer cruise ships to war crafts but you've certainly presented dramatic shots here. And ending appropriately on a musical note,
just the right touch.
:)~
HUGZ

Jana Iverson Last said...

Interesting photos of different sailing vessels! I wonder what year the photo of the aircraft carrier was taken.

Tattered and Lost said...

Your post, with all the ships from different time periods, made me think of a photo my father took in Hong Kong in 1945. An image of a Chinese Junk and a US aircraft carrier. You might find it interesting:

http://tatteredandlostphotographs.blogspot.com/2010/11/uss-puget-sound-in-hong-kong-1945.html

North County Film Club said...

I liked the Rod Stewart song...but doesn't he look like a female impersonator?
Oh, and the ships were interesting, too. I think I got a little sidetracked.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hartlepool was called 'Hartjepoel' by my father. One of my uncles has sent a postcard from Hartlepool Harbour in 1958, but there were no ships on it.

Unknown said...

I love aircraft carriers. If I would be the PM I would immediately buy one. Unfortunately, the last Dutch aircraft carrier was sold to Argentina in 1968.