Pages

Sunday 14 October 2012

National Costumes - Sunday Stamps

Viridian set us a theme we've had before : the folkways of various cultures. folktales, food, costume, pottery, you name it. I've chosen national costumes but I'll admit I have some work to do. All my stamps are from Greece.



Greek National Costumes
I have worked out that the stamp on the right of the second row and the single stamp at the bottom show costumes from Macedonia. I'm still checking the rest.

All eight were issued between 1972 and 1974, the date is on each stamp.

To see what else has been posted this week don't forget to check out Sunday-stamps-92.

10 comments:

viridian said...

These costumes look complex to our eyes today, don't they? I like the embroidered aprons in some of the ladies' costumes.
Thank you for participating!

21 Wits said...

Wow, these are beautiful! Is it because I'm a woman, or what, but I'd love to have these grouped in a picture frame! Nice Sunday Stamp post Bob!

Lisa B said...

These are lovely stamps, I've seen a few of them before, but never investigated further as to which country or region they represent.

Postcardy said...

I am always amazed at the variety of folk costumes, even from the same country.

VioletSky said...

These folk costumes look quite elaborate and substantial. and a bit heavy wearing, especially for such a hot country!

Dănuţ Ivănescu said...

Traditional Greek costumes are very different from area to area, and this wonderful series fully proves this.

Little Nell said...

These are very detailed, you can see some of the lacework and beading. A very nice collection.

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

I've never seen this stamps before and this are indeed a very neat looking costumes!

My Sunday Stamps: Folktales

Helen said...

Folk costumes are always interesting, I think. These stamps are lovely.

Joy said...

Oh lucky you to have all these wonderful costumes. I only have 2 stamps of the sets. I recognise the first one as the distinctive Cretan costume, which I usually associate being worn by men with twirly moustaches.