Pages

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Autumn (Fall) Colours - Thematic Photography

I used all my colourful photos last year and as yet the trees near us in the North East of England are only just starting to turn. Carmi's theme of fall colours looked like being difficult for me until I received this shot from my daughter in Michigan taken in her grounds at the weekend..

Michigan colours in the fall
This afternoon touring our village I found one tree that had decided autumn had come - shame about the pole.

Kirklevington tree
Shame also that I don't know what sort of tree it is. Perhaps someone can tell me from this close-up.


A little further down the lane to the left of the tree a shrub had also decided it was autumn too.


However the view that caught my attention early this morning, while the frost was still on the ground and before the sun was up, was not the colours of the trees but this up in the sky.

Vapour trails  
We are on the flight path for planes to and from Amsterdam and these are the vapour trails as they break down after the plane(s) have gone.

To other autumn colours you need to fly off to Thematic-photographic-216-fall-colors

15 comments:

carmilevy said...

I always feel a little small, a little humbled when I look up and see contrails like these. It reminds me that the world is a big place. Great shots...all of them.

Amabaie said...

The "Kirklevington tree"...it's a Sumac. I grew up with them. Pain in the butt popping up all over the lawn all summer - gorgeous to look at as they paint fire across the landscape in the fall.

JIM said...

One of the only things I miss about New England is the changing of the leafs !! We would always shoot up in Maine or Vermont. Nice images!!



http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2012/10/viewing-roma-and-my-grandparents-from.html

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

nice pix

:O)

Alexia said...

Those vapour trails are great!
I think the tree might be a Rhus, Bob - they are very attractive in autumn but can cause allergies. See this link http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/plants/rhus.html

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, Bob,the Autumn colours around here (Leics./Northampton) are lovely this year, I don't think we had quite as much rain in this area as further north.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Nice shot and save from your daughter, Bob.

And I too love the vapor trails.

;-)

Gilly said...

There's a Sumac Tree in the Park behind our house, but its still a dingy green at the moment! Yours is much nicer!

And I like the trails - we are under the "over fliers" from the from Europe going to N. America, but it takes a lovely morning before we can see them!

Jo said...

We have been getting wonderful colours here but as forecast, they haven't lasted very long because of the drought conditions earlier this year.

Love your pix.

Sara said...

Looks like a Sumac (you can make sumac tea or lemonade with the flower). The leaves turn a beautiful deep red in the fall, like their flower and as you have captured.
Nice "Vapour trails".

Janet said...

love these autumn shots and the one of the contrails...that's a great shot!

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

i thought that looked like a Sumac...but not so much like the Sumacs we have here...similar though!! what a beautiful fiery red the leaves have turned!!

and i love the 'contrails'...it's always such a wonder to look up and see those vapour trails...i always wonder where they're headed...

great FALL pic's Bob!!

Kiwi Nomad said...

Lovely shades in those Michigan trees- such variety in the autumnal hues.

Little Nell said...

Lovely Autumn colours Bob. Taken in your daughter's 'grounds' does she live in a mansion in MI?

Max Sartin said...

Beautiful colors there. Nice shots.