Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2011

Am I A Wimp?


A-Z Challenge – ‘W’

Am I a wimp because I don’t understand a ‘window, icon, menu, pointing device’ (WIMP)?’

WIMPS are systems where a WINDOW will run a self-contained program, isolated within that window from other programs running at the same time (used to create multi-program operating systems), ICONS act as shortcuts to actions to be performed by the computer (such as execute a program), Menus are text-based or icon-based selection systems to again select and execute programs or sub-programs. Finally, the Pointer is an onscreen symbol that represents the movement of a physical device to allow the user to select elements on an output device such as a printer.

Okay, I’m a wimp!

Does it make me cowardly or unadventurous because I was born in 1937 and have retired? It was a retired baseball coach born in the same year named Winfrey Sanderson who was known as “Wimp.”

As I get older and weaker, and put on weight I could become a hypothetical particle of matter a so-called weakly interacting massive particle or WIMP for short. In which case I would be an ideal candidate for the WIMP Argon Programme which is researching cold dark matter at the National Laboratory of Gran Sass, Italy.

I’ll bet they need one of those ‘window, icon, menu, pointing thingies’ in that research and the WIMP software bundle as well, (the web stack of Windows (operating system), IIS (web server), MySQL (database management system), and PHP/Perl/Python (programming language))

I guess after that lot I’d better stick to being a cowardly or unadventurous individual, i.e., a wimp.

[You can blame Wikipedia for this]

2 comments:

David Robinson said...

Chuckleworthy, Bob. I didn't know there were that many definitions, or are they acronyms?

Bish Denham said...

I had no idea about all those different WIMP thingies. Let us not forget Wimpy, Popeye's friend, who would gladly pay you Wednesday for a hamburger today.