Pages

Wednesday 1 April 2015

A-Z Challenge 2015 - Butterflies A

A- Z Challenge 2015

My A-Z posts this year will be about butterflies with an emphasis of those from Britain. I expect that I shall have to include some from elsewhere as well. Until I get started I'm not sure what other connections will occur. You will just have to wait and see. As usual I am expecting to cheat for some letters of the alphabet; I’m sure you will see why.

In 1978 there was a sitcom on British TV called 'Butterflies.' Its theme tune was one I always associate with Dolly Parton - "Love is like a butterfly."

Dialogue in the first episode included these words, "We are all kids chasing butterflies. You see it, you want it, you grab it and there it is all squashed in your hands."

I promise you that no butterflies have been harmed in this Challenge. 

After all, "Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing."


- Adonis Blue



Adonis was the Greek god of beauty and desire whose name in modern times is often applied to handsome youths.

Adonis Blue - Male
This brilliant sky blue butterfly is the most vivid of British blue butterflies. The female is chocolate brown.

Adonis Blue - Female
As you can see both have chequered fringes to their wings with the female having flecks of yellow.

Although it has become a declining species conservationists are trying to encourage populations by managed grazing programs in their chalk grasslands. They are to be found on the limestone and chalk of southern England in Dorset, the Isle of Wight, the Chilterns, Wessex and Kent.

Hippocrepsis comosa
The horseshoe vetch (hippocrepsis comosa) is the only flower on which this butterfly feeds so you are unlikely to find it on the bush that bears its name.

Buddleja davidii - Adonis Blue
The buddleia, apply known as the butterfly bush, in our garden attracts many butterflies each year but unfortunately not the Adonis Blue.

Each Sunday I contribute to the Sunday Stamps meme. How I wish I could include this stamp.

Hungary



Photo Attributions:
  • Adonis Blue - Male: Polyommatus bellargus, 25 June 2006, Harold Süpfle - CC BY-SA 2.5
  • Adonis Blue - Female: Polyommatus bellargus, 25 June 2006, Harold Süpfle - CC BY-SA 2.5
  • Horseshoe vetch hippocrepsis comosa, uploaded by Tigerente, June 11 2006 - CC BY-SA 3.0
  • Buddleja davidii, Adonis Blue, 22 Aug 2012, Ptelea - CC BY-SA 3.0
  • Hungarian Stamp, scan by Darjac


12 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - great notes on the Adonis butterfly - love them too ... the creemping comosa is such a pretty low growing plant - now I know what it's for .. that's helpful - cheers Hilary

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Nice one, never have thought of that myself. New follower for you

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Wonderful pix, Bob! We will not be seeing butterflies for a long time here...:)JP

ScotSue said...

A fascinating post with stunning photographs.

21 Wits said...

Ah yes, you had me hooked- with that first glorious photo!

Kristin said...

It looks like it is a beautiful color, matching it's own flower. I would never have thought of butterflies as a theme, very original.

loverofwords said...

Beautiful photographs. We have the wonderful Monarch Butterfly here but sadly, it too is in decline with less milkweed for one of its stages. I am planning to grow some in my yard. And years ago, I watched hundreds of Monarchs at the Getty Museum, resting in the scented trees on their way to Mexico.

Jo said...

What a gorgeous butterfly. I live in Kent for a large part of my life but don't remember ever seeing one. Pity. There is a butterfly sanctuary close by here, we've been once.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Such a beautiful butterfly. It's one that they say we can see up on the White Cliffs and I like to fancy that I have indeed seen it.

aw said...

I photographed an Adonis Blue on the chalk downs on the Hants/Wilts border about five years ago, Bob. First and only time I have ever seen one. A lovely theme you have chosen. Should brighten up this damp weather nicely.
Ann

Maria said...

Hi Bob! I love your theme for the A-Z challenge. The blue butterfly is adorable. I think I'll easily mistake the brown for a moth!

Wendy said...

Doesn't it figure -- the male gets all the beautiful color.