Pages

Wednesday 15 April 2015

A-Z Challenge 2015 - Butterflies 'M'

M - Meadow Brown, Monarch

You can find it in all parts of the British Isles except for the most mountainous areas. It's one of the commonest and widespread of our butterflies.


Meadow Brown butterfly (Maniola jurtina)
That one black eyespot on the forewing is unique to the meadow brown. The are is some variation with some showing two white pupils. The meadow brown  flies from June through to September, even in dull and inclement weather while many other butterflies wait out the rain.

It loves grasses, grasslands, heathland. parks and fields.

The summer/autumn migration of the Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus) is legendary covering, as it does, thousands of miles from the US and southern Canada to Mexico.


Monarch butterfly on a Penta flower in Texas
 Monarchs have even been transported to and bred on the International Space Station.

A milkweed butterfly, the Monarch is one of the most familiar North American butterflies. With a wing span up to 4 inches, its orange and black pattern makes it easily recognisable. 

However it is yet another butterfly that I have never seen.


Love is like a butterfly
As soft and gentle as a sigh
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

I feel it when you're with me
It happens when you kiss me
That rare and gentle feeling that I feel inside
Your touch is soft and gentle
Your kiss is warm and tender
Whenever I am with you I think of butterflies

Love is like a butterfly

Photo attributions:

  • Meadow Brown: By a footpath in Yerdley Wood, 21 June 2009, geograph.org.uk, by Shazz - CC BY 2.0
  • Monarch on a Penta: October 2011, by A Yee - CC BY 2.0

4 comments:

Maria said...

Ah! Finally I found a butterfly I am familiar with ;-)

Maria said...

Aha! Finally a butterfly I could recognize ;-)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - they are amazing insects ... I love seeing the colours and patterns of their wings and undersides. The Monarchs do travel miles don't they and I guess if you're not there at the right time, then you've missed them

Cheers Hilary

Jo said...

I've seen Monarchs in our local butterfly sanctuary. I didn't know they had been taken up to the space station. What about their homing instincts I wonder. I believe the valley where they cluster after their long flight is almost scary if they are disturbed and all take flight at once.