Pages

Tuesday 7 April 2015

A-Z Challenge 2015 - Butterflies 'F'

F - Fritillaries

There are nine species of Fritillary found in Britain, one is a rare migrant from the Continent. Six frequent woodlands and three the open country. The woodland varieties have a rapid flight, whilst those in open country have a weak fluttering flight, frequently resting with their wings open like a moth.

Orange brown with dark spots they are named for their resemblance the spotter flower of the Snake's Head Lily, or Fritillary.


Snake's Head Fritillary

Silver Washed Fritillary
The woodland fritillaries comprise:
  • Silver Washed
  • Pearl Bordered
  • Small Pearl Bordered
  • High Brown
  • Dark Green
  • Queen of Spain - (you will have to wait for 'Q' in the Challenge for this one.)
The underside of the Dark Green Fritillary is green as the name implies. Others have silver markings on their wings.

The Silver Washed Fritillary is the largest with a 2.1/2 inch wing span. It flies July - September and is found south of the Lake District.

It feeds on bramble flowers.

Male Silver Washed Fritillary on bramble flower
It's eggs are laid on the bark of trees, the caterpillars hatch out in about two weeks. After eating the egg shells, the caterpillars hibernate. In the spring they seek out dog violets on which to feed.

Common Dog Violet - beside a woodland path
The Marsh, the Heath and the Glanville Fritillaries are the open country butterflies.


Glanville Fritillary
The first specimens were found in Lincolnshire in the 1690s.

The butterfly takes its name from Lady Eleanor Glanville, an eccentric 17th and 18th English enthusiast whose memory was said to have suffered from her curiosity.

So much so that some of her relations, disappointed by her Will, attempted to put it aside by the Acts of Lunacy. They suggested that none but those who were derived of their senses would go in pursuit of butterflies.

I'm glad that she did.


Love is like a butterfly
As soft and gentle as a sigh
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

I feel it when you're with me

Photo Attributions:

  • Snake's Head Fritillary: 13 April 2010, by Amandajm - CC BY-SA 3.0
  • Silver Washed Fritillary (Argynnis paphia): 11 July 2014, by gail hampshire from Cradley, Malvern - CC BY-SA 2.0
  • Silver Washed Fritillary on bramble in Hampshire: 7 July 2007, by Steve Povey, geograph.org.uk - CC BY-SS 2.0
  • Common Dog Violet: 12 April 2007, by Mary and Angus Hog, geograph.org.uk - CC BY-SA 2.0
  • Glanville Fritillary (Melitaea cinxia): uploaded by Ayacop, 24 April 2006 - CC BY 2.5



13 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Boy you have shown me a few things I never knew about.
http://spudsdailyphoto.blogspot.co.uk/

Michelle said...

Spectacular macro of this lovely butterfly!

Wendy said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks for visiting my blog. I didn't realize you were doing AtoZ although I should have since you ALWAYS join. The sign up list is HUGE making it hard to find the regulars. I've jumped around the list, so maybe I would have found you eventually. OK, I'm off to read your previous posts.

Ann Bennett said...

Lady Glanville is my kind of gal. Know who you are in life.

Lovely photos. I have Dog violets growing in a moist area of my yard. They are volunteers and most beautiful.

Bish Denham said...

I guess flitteraries are every where, because we have them here in Texas, too.

I'm glad that Lady Glanville ignored her relatives and followed the fluttering butterflies instead!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - I love fritillaries and the butterflies so named - they are exquisite. Gorgeous to see them close up like this ..

Cheers Hilary

Unknown said...

Wow, amazing A-Z blog theme!

I love nature, and would like to know more about what I see with our girls, when we take walks.

Have you ever been to Keukenhof - the most popular Spring garden here? You mentioned on my blogs, that you've been to many places in the Netherlands.

Bob Scotney said...

@ Joanna - Most of my time in the Netherlands was connected to work so I never made it to Keukenhof. I know I missed a remarkable place.

Jo said...

Deprived of their senses to hunt butterflies. I think things have changed somewhat. I am enjoying this series - What I didn`t know about English Butterflies LOL

Liz Brownlee said...

Fabulous - I LOVE fritillaries! And indeed, all creatures. I' doing the theme 'Amazing animals'. How lovely to come across someone else doing similar. ~Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I love all varieties of Fritillary. And I'm a lover of butterflies.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Butterflies are such fascinating creatures...the Butterfly Farm in Aruba is a place I visit daily for the two weeks we vacation!...:)JP

Maria said...

Hi Bob! I would admit I had to pronounce it to myself 3x before I was able to get that "fritillary" right! Lovely photos as always to feast my eyes on!