Pages

Friday 24 April 2015

A - Z Challenge 2015 - Butterflies 'U'

U - USA Butterflies 

I get the chance to photograph butterflies whenever I visit my daughter's home in Michigan. However her dogs do not cooperate as I'm expected to hit tennis balls for them to fetch whenever I'm outside.

Unfortunately the butterflies I see like the flowers on the bed of chives which is where golden retriever, Lily, hides her stash of balls.

I have successfully identified three species but am left with two that I have not traced so far.


Silver Spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus) on chives
This is claimed to be the most recognised skipper in North America.


The Red Spotted Purple (Limentis arthemis) or White Admiral mimics the poisonous Pipevine Swallowtail; I haven't seen one of those.



Red Spotted Purple (aka White Admiral)

The third butterfly that I am able to name is the -


Pearled Crescent (Pyciodes tharos) on the chives
Then comes the one I hope someone seeing this will be able to tell me what it is.

Any ideas?
Another where we can only see the underside is much plainer. Can anyone help me?


Unfortunately Lily drove it off before I could see its upperside.


Love is like a butterfly
As soft and gentle as a sigh
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

I feel it when you're with me
It happens when you kiss me
That rare and gentle feeling that I feel inside
Your touch is soft and gentle
Your kiss is warm and tender
Whenever I am with you I think of butterflies

Love is like a butterfly
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

Your laughter brings me sunshine
Every day is spring time
And I am only happy when you are by my side
How precious is this love we share


(Someone early yesterday morning was the 200,000 visitor to my blog; thanks to you whoever you were and the other 199,999 over the years.)

10 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Nice finds there. Certanly a little different in color to ours in the UK

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Bob, although I am in a rush this morning, the last one might be a swallowtail of some sort...there are lots of varieties...:)JP

Jo said...

Pretty butterflies. Does your daughter know you can eat chive flowers? They are delicious in salads and make a great garnish.

Anonymous said...

Your chives are flowering! I'm so jealous; mine are barely 6" tall.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No idea on the butterfly. Best hope is to Google it. Or contact an expert and see if they can identify it.

Maria said...

The first photo of the white admiral is very pretty! The contrast on that is really nice.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - sadly I've no idea - rather wish I knew more .. they are stunning though ...

I love the fact that Lily hides her ball amongst the chives .. I love chives and they have beautiful flowers ..

Cheers - Hilary

Bish Denham said...

Looked through my small book of butterflies, but didn't find anything that looked like these two lovelies.

Leetah Begallie said...

Wow, the White Admiral is absolutely beautiful!

L. D. said...

The chives butterfly looks like my black swallowtails that I have a few states west of you. I haven't seen them for some time, but last summer we had half a dozen. I will have to dig through my blog to see if I can find the other one. I don't remember names very well but do get them researched and named. The swallowtail has some great blue colors on the inside of it.