Pages

Thursday 23 April 2015

A - Z Challenge 2015 - Butterflies 'T''

T - Tortoiseshell butterflies.

Of the two Tortoiseshell butterflies  it's the Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urtica) that is the most common and found throughout the British Isles,

It's one of the first butterflies to be seen each summer. We saw the first one this year on 5th April.  The buddleia is a favourite plant.


Two Small Tortoiseshell Butterflies in our garden
Small Tortoiseshell
Its orange colour with brown, black, yellow and blue markings are unmistakable.

It will quite happily share a flower with a bumblebee.


From the underside there is no hint of its colourful appearance.


The Large Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis polychlorox) is similar in appearance but is usually only seen in Suffolk and north Essex. There is little chance of my getting to photograph one.


Love is like a butterfly
As soft and gentle as a sigh
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

I feel it when you're with me
It happens when you kiss me
That rare and gentle feeling that I feel inside
Your touch is soft and gentle
Your kiss is warm and tender
Whenever I am with you I think of butterflies

Love is like a butterfly
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

Your laughter brings me sunshine
Every day is spring time
And I am only happy when you are by my side

3 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Spot on there Bob, must get my butterfly plants growing or there will be none in the garden this year

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - I love it when the butterflies start appearing .. as they really do herald warmer days with extra sunshine.

It's incredible how many varieties there are .. cheers Hilary

Kristin said...

I saw my first butterfly of the year yesterday. It was a plain colored one, sort of greeny/beige.