Pages

Saturday 25 April 2015

A - Z Challenge 2015 - Butterflies 'V'

V - Vanessids, Viceroy

A vanessid is a butterfly belonging to any of several brightly coloured species including the Red Admiral (R), Tortoiseshells (T) and the Camberwell Beauty, which with Fritilliaries (F & Q) comprise the Nymphalides.


Camberwell Beauty
The name for this rare migrant to the British Isles originated from the discovery of two individuals at Coldharbour Lane in Camberwell, South London in 1748 which were believed to be stowaways from Scandinavia.

Now commemorated on a road sign on Denmark Hill
Appropriately the photo of the Beauty was taken at the Valkmusa Natural Park in Finland.

Many of you will recognise this butterfly (also seen under M)

Monarch Butterfly
If you are wondering why I'm showing this again it's because of another butterfly that mimics its appearance. 

Viceroy Butterfly
Apparently the Monarch is unpalatable; by mimicking the Monarch the Viceroy hopes that birds will leave it alone. I wonder what happens when the bird has never seen a Monarch.

Do other butterflies with eyespots on their wings have a better chance of survival?


Love is like a butterfly
As soft and gentle as a sigh
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

I feel it when you're with me
It happens when you kiss me
That rare and gentle feeling that I feel inside
Your touch is soft and gentle
Your kiss is warm and tender
Whenever I am with you I think of butterflies

Love is like a butterfly
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

Your laughter brings me sunshine
Every day is spring time
And I am only happy when you are by my side
How precious is this love we share
How very precious, sweet and rare
Together we belong like daffodils and butterflies

Photo attributions:
  • Camberwell Beauty: Valkmusa Natural Park, Finland; 20 Aug 2007, by Kymi - CC BY-SA 3.0
  • Camberwell road sign: geograph.org.uk, by Paul Farmer - CC By-SA 2.0
  • Monarch on a Penta: October 2011, by A Yee - CC BY 2.0
  • Viceroy (Limenitis archippus): Mer Bleue Conservation Area, Ottawa, Ontario - 1 August 2009, By D Gordon E Robertson - CC BY-SA 3.0

8 comments:

alberta ross said...

nice one Bob:) thought it was time I came around to visit - the butterflies are becoming more common in my garden now the sunshine is here - they are so beautiful:)

Francene Stanley said...

How do they know one butterfly mimicked another? The first picture of a butterfly is so beautiful, as is the link to Camberwell in London. I love learning about things and you've given me two items to add to my range today, Bob. From: Authentic Blogger.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - fascinating information about the Camberwell butterfly and now it's recognised in Camberwell street signs and no doubt other signage.

Also the Viceroy mimicking the Monarch ... flora and fauna is so clever, we pale into insignificance ...

Cheers Hilary

21 Wits said...

Bravo on your hard work and reaching V! I know I've missed a few, life has been busy, but your photos, especially the town view too, and your poems, are just so enjoyable. Bravo Bob.

Kristin said...

The Camberwell Beauty would make a beautiful cape, if it were fabric instead of a butterfly.

Jo said...

How do we know the Monarch didn't imitate the Viceroy. The Elephant and Castle brought back a few memories, used to drive through that area when I travelled from London to Kent or vice versa.

L. D. said...

Monarch lay eggs only on milkweed plants here in Iowa. Is there a plant that the monarch likes best in you area?

viridian said...

I see you are going strong on the A to Z challenge. Keep on going!