Pages

Sunday 18 March 2012

Going to the dogs again - Sunday Stamps

I was going to post something quite different this week, until I came across these stamps on my favourite market stall.

Poland
The poodle and the Airedale terrier were immediately recognisable but not the bulldog.

I had some trouble with the next set too.

San Marino
The Pointer (top left) and the Boxer (btm right) were easy enough. I've seen several Salukis which are also known as  Italian Greyhounds (top middle) and this matches up with the English Greyhound (btm left). Knowing that San Marino is a republic in Central Italy helped with the 3 lire stamp.

My pocket sized dog book tells me that Maremma is a region by the Tyrrhenian Sea and that there is a breed called Maremaner Herder dogs. The picture in the book can only be the same type of dog as on the 3 lire stamp (top right) where it is identified as Pasture Maremmano. So I'll settle for describing it as a large sheep dog.

As you could post whatever you wished this week you should check out others' choices at Viridian's Sunday Stamps-62

16 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. well done on sorting out the breeds .. I'd have been foxed as well .. good to see and be informed about ..

Cheers Hilary

21 Wits said...

I always enjoy it when you go to the dogs Bob! When I grew up we had a Wired Haired Fox Terrier! He was quite a handful for my father, but I loved him dearly!

Joy said...

Watching the recent Crufts I realised I knew nothing about dog breeds. Fascinating variety.

Little Nell said...

I have a weakness for dog stamps. I had a poodle when I was a little girl so it’s nice to see one on a stamp.

Postcardy said...

I love black poodles, so that stamp is my favorite. I shouldn't have gotten rid of my pocket-sized dog book. There are so many varieties of dogs that aren't popular here so I don't recognize them.

T. Forehand said...

Interesting post, we are lab lovers at my house and then we have a few shepard mix pups in the mix. Dog is man's best friend after all.

Have a great day.

Terri
Author of The Cancer Prayer Book

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I was watching a programme not so long ago about dog breeds and it showed how much they have changed over the years. I don't know how old the stamps are so that may be a complete red herring.

VioletSky said...

My knowledge of dog breeds is limited to 'big' or 'small'.Nice selection of different breeds in these stamps. I find the San Marino style a bit cluttered, though.

Marcie said...

You can never go wrong with dog stamps. I especially love the terrier stamp.

Marc Latham said...

Great images, especially the bulldog. Cheers.

Christine H. said...

I had to come by to take a look at the airedale, one of my favorite dogs. When I was at the veterinarian's office some time ago, the young woman who worked there told me that her favorite dog, the French bulldog (pictured on the other stamp)can only be delivered by C-section! They have been bred to have large heads that no longer allow for a natural birth.

Bob Scotney said...

Christine - the Airedale is my favourite too and why I bought these stamps. If your right about this being a French bulldog that's probably what didn't look right to me - only used to the British breed.

Bruno Laliberté said...

Love the pointer!!
:)~
HUGZ

viridian said...

Dog stamps are always great. I hope you are not spending a fortune at that market stall. Thanks for joining in.

Alan Burnett said...

I always tend to forget about the beauty of stamps - thanks for reminding me Bob.

L. D. said...

They are some really nice stamps. They are well designed and I really like dogs.