Pages

Sunday 11 March 2012

Famous Women - Sunday Stamps

My collection seems to be short on stamps to meet this week's theme especially if you exclude Heads of State and France's Marianne. However I discovered one or two which I had to find out about first.

Sigrid Undset 1882-1949
Sigrid was born in Denmark but moved to Norway when she was two. Her claim to fame is that she was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1928. Her most famous book is probably Kristin Lavransdatter a trilogy about life in Scandinavia in the Middle Ages. You can read about her on the Nobel Prize site - "Sigrid Undset - Autobiography".

My second stamp comes from Mexico.

Josefa Ortiz
Josefa Ortiz De Dominguez was the heroine of the Mexican Independence. One of her most important contributions to the Independence movement was when she alerted Father Miguel Hidalgo that the conspiracy had been discovered by the Spanish.You can read more about her here 

This is the year of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. I do not have any of the stamps issued to commemorate the event. I can however show some issued for her 60th birthday.

Queen Elizabeth II
 To see other famous women you should switch over to Viridian's Sunday Stamps 61

13 comments:

Little Nell said...

Always good to learn about inspirational women. I suppose you have to be great and good - not notorious - to be honoured with a stamp.

VioletSky said...

Josefa looks rather formidable in this portrait.
It is lovely to see how the Queen has gracefully aged and I like the headgear ER and Sigrid are wearing!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I've just read the piece about Sigrid Undset - what fascinating reading! I must find out more.

Lisa B said...

a very nice selection of stamps, it looks like this week's theme involved quite a bit of research for everyone, very interesting to read.

viridian said...

Thank you for the various stamps. I really must look up the Kristin Lavransdatter books - for myself and for my daughter.

Bruno Laliberté said...

I also featured some stamps about Lilibeth!!
:)~
HUGZ

Postcardy said...

I read the article about Josefa Ortiz and was really impressed.

Marcie said...

I have never heard of the first two women. Thank you for sharing!

Sreisaat said...

Thank you for introducing Josefa Ortiz and Sigrid Undset. I also didn't have much stamps with formidable women on them so I had to stretch the theme a bit.


Postcards Crossing
My Stamp Menagerie

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. it was International Womens' Day last Friday - so the posting is good timing .. it's just so interesting to see what stamps show of our world's culture ..

Women of that era were formidable .. Thank you so much .. cheers Hilary

Danielle said...

I'm afraid I didn't find many in my collection either. I love Sigrid Undset--that's a great stamp. I read her Kristin Lavransdattir books a few years ago and loved them.

Joy said...

Nice portrait of Undset, never read anything of hers, although from Danielle's comment I should do. Josefa Ortiz looks as impressive as her story.

Jocelyn said...

Interesting stamps and I especially like any Queen Elizabeth stamps because she is truly a remarkable woman.