Pages

Sunday 25 March 2012

Flower Power - Sunday Stamps

I've an interesting first day cover for you this week (thanks to my pet market stallholder again)


This poem from Curtis's Botanical Magazine in 1824 accompanies the ten 19th century flower paintings.

First Day Cover -6January 1997
The names of the flowers and the artists (of whom I had never heard) are included on the information card along with the poem. I won't spell out the Latin names of the flowers - I'll just give the names I know them by.

Top row: Gentian; Magnolia, Camellia, Tulips, Fuschia

Btm row: Tulips, Gazania, Iris, Amaryllis, Passion Flower

The painters:

Top: G D Ehret, G D Ehret, A Chandler, G D Ehret, A J Withers

Btm: G D Ehret, C C Sowerby, G D Ehret, P J Redoute, G D Ehret

You can find more flowers or signs of Spring at Viridian's sunday stamps 63

12 comments:

Lisa B said...

A beautiful set, which I missed :(

Helen said...

Of all the flower stamps posted for Sunday stamps this week, I think your first day cover might be my favourite. It really is lovely!

Little Nell said...

These are gorgeous - little miniature masterpieces!

Little Nell said...

These are gorgeous - little miniature masterpieces!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

That was a really very attractive set of stamps. I wish I had the cards.

Joy said...

What beautiful penmanship, and flowers. I've got one of two of those but unfortunately not the set.

viridian said...

Wild gentians are my favorite. In the USA st least you cannot grow them in agarden, you must look for them in wet disturbed ground. the blue is so intense, and I have found cannot be truly caught with a camera. thanks for participating!

Postcardy said...

That is the type of subject that looks most interesting as a complete set.

VioletSky said...

This is a nice cover set. Such intense colours.
And the inclusion of the poem is a nice touch. It is certainly a style of writing that is lost in this era.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What a lovely set and a perfect poem to go with them.

Bruno Laliberté said...

Now that is a first day cover I'd like to have!!
:)~
HUGZ

Sreisaat said...

Beautiful FDC!! How I wish those flowers grow in my garden :D



Postcards Crossing