Pages

Thursday 1 March 2012

Games for Sepia Saturday

When I saw Alan's "Games" photo prompt I must confess it was snakes and ladders that I thought of first.

Indian Game of Snakes and Ladders
19th Century Gouache on Cloth by Jain Miniature

But closer to home I looked for what games we still had hidden away. Specially for today I dug out this from the top shelf of our hall cupboard,

Scrabble 
This is a game at which I rarely beat my wife. I do better at a game of chance.

Yahtzee
The warranty slip inside the Scrabble box is dated 1993 but the Yahtzee must be much older than that.

Meanwhile there is not much point in just two of us testing our general knowledge.

Trivial Pursuit
I never was very good at the entertainment category and as the rules for this game are dated 1983 it shows how out of date it would be today.

The Scabble rules are still in pristine condition.

Of more interest is the pamphlet inside the box promoting Family and Adult Games.

Family & Adult Games
I'm just hoping you can read the names of the games. I confess to being "Baffled" by the "Battle of The Sexes" and would need to take a "Wild Guess" at what they are about. Most of all I must take note of the warning "Mind Your Language."

I guess I prefer outdoor games but I would have to travel to Scotland to play.

Noughts & Crosses in a small park at Kirn
By Thomas Nugent -

Other games in the park which looks across the Firth of Clyde to Gourock include Draughts and (where I started) Snakes & Ladders

Perhaps I should just check other games at Sepia Saturday

 

23 comments:

Little Nell said...

Your games cupboard is a bit like ours I think Bob! We actually played ”Pass the Pig” at Chrsitmas for the first time in years. I do like Scrabble, but these days it’s “Words With Friends” on the iPad

Wendy said...

What a great selection of games - some of my favorites. My children had a game called Chutes and Ladders -- probably works like your Snakes and Ladders.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Bob, a good selection, remember them all. My youngest granddaughter still likes to play snake and ladders in the holidays. Games are in fashion or fall out of it. I think scrabble is still popular. A beautiful Indian snake and ladder game.

tony said...

Nice To See Real Games Rather than on a smartphone or PC.

Postcardy said...

I don't think we had the "Snakes & Ladders" here.

You should have connected "SEPIA" and "SATURDAY" with the "S" or an "A."

North County Film Club said...

I love all those games, especially Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit. What a nice collection you have.

But the outdoor game is the best. Have you really tried it?
Nancy

Bob Scotney said...

@Nancy - The outdoor game I found via the internet so, no I haven't been there.

Kristin said...

I've played chutes and ladders (it's like snakes and ladders) and tic tac toe and scrabble but, although I've seen some of the others, never played them. Nothing like a good board game.

21 Wits said...

Really, snakes...and ladders! I have heard of this I just know it...but all the others you posted are my all time favorites and still get played today.....! Games never really ever get old ....just dusty if not used enough!

Life Goes On said...

thanks for visiting my posting on sepia saturday. games are great for family fun. I always loved playing Yahtzee. My kids always wanted to play Family Feud.

Unknown said...

Yes sadly to say most of our grands play the electronic games but the older ones and the adults do play some of the board games. I myself play electronic Tetris. Oh No I hope my family does not see this. Great post.
QMM

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

We stopped playing board games when I discovered my husband was FAR too competitive, whereas I always played for fun. I love the snakes and ladders from India, a beautiful picture in itself.

Joy said...

I like the journey to the heights concept in the Indian Snakes and Ladders. Thanks for the trip around your games cupboard. It reminded me that like houses, holiday cottages always seem to have a good supply of board games, there is usually one I have never heard of.

Anonymous said...

Your games cupboard whisked me back to my childhood - nowadays I only play solitaire on the computer or word games on my phone. Monopoly was the favourite in our house :-) Jo

Alfandi said...

I still love the "Monopoly" game..

Anonymous said...

Yahtzee is one of my favorite games, in fact we played it just the other day. My family enjoys Scrabble, but I don't have the patience for it.

Mike Brubaker said...

The best games are on a board with hundreds of pieces to spill and argue over.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Bob,

I love Yatzee; and it is good for doing the times tables.

That park sounds like fun. Is the snakes and ladders a huge concrete board game, or ????

I wonder if I would do better at the 1983 version of Trivial Pursuit. I don't know a lot of the celebrities these days.

Happy Sepia Saturday!

Kathy M.

Bob Scotney said...

Kathy - if you check out this link you will find it's played on concrete.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Snakes_and_Ladders_-_geograph.org.uk_-_837971.jpg

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

I have all the same games packed away somewhere that we used to play back in the day except for the Noughts & Crosses of course!

Bruno Laliberté said...

I think I would enjoy that park,
for the view, and the games.
:)~
HUGZ

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. most I know - as we played lots as kids ..

A question - do you by chance remember a board game, with a map of the UK on it .. and towns marked up - the the pack of cards had the towns - they were dealt ... then the dots given between each town or across the country - meant your 'car' could travel per the dice roll. The first to get to all their allotted towns was the winner? If you do - can you remember its name .. ?? Thank you!!

Cheers Hilary

Bob Scotney said...

Hilary, sorry but I've not come across that one at all.