Pages

Monday 5 March 2012

Old Views of Rotterdam (2)

These Weenenk & Snel postcards complete the set which I have shown in earlier posts.

Rotterdam - Beursplein
The elevated rail line runs down the right had side, but its the tramcar that catches your attention.

The waterfront area on the next card has changed dramatically today.

Rotterdam - Boompjes
There is virtually no traffic in this square.

Calandsplein
I wonder whether icecream was being sold from the handcart in the foreground.

My final card is another bridge.

Rotterdam - Konigshaven Bridge
Other posts in this series maye be found: here ; here ; here and here

5 comments:

L. D. said...

The city has always been a fascinating place to me to hear about and now to see the old postcards is wonderful.

Christine H. said...

My father sailed from Rotterdam when he first came to the United States as a young man. I've never been though.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I think that's the beauty of these old cards, seeing how things have changed. Sadly, not often for the better.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting these cards. I always wonder how Rotterdam used to look like, and how it should have looked like anno 2012. The innercity could have easily been rebuild (like so many German towns), but instead some progressive idiots decided to level the whole inner city (except The White House) so they could start from scratch.

Bob Scotney said...

Rob, I must have looked at hundreds of images of Rotterdam today in an effort to match up these old photos with virtually no success.