Pages

Monday 1 April 2013

A-Z Challenge 2013 - 'A'



My A-Z posts this year will be based on things in my garden – flowers, animals, the birds and the bees, butterflies - with a bit of poetry thrown in. For some letters I am expecting to cheat somewhat – wishing  they were here.

A - Anemone, Aquilegia, Azalea, Red Admiral

We have a lot of perennial plants. Among them is the:

Anemone
A perennial may be, but the anemone doesn’t always put in an appearance unlike the:

Aquilegia (& Forget-me-nots)
These seed themselves and appear in all sorts of unexpected places like against the next door fence.

Aquilegia
However if you use garden pots it’s easier to maintain control:

Azaleas
Of course it is wildlife that you wish to see, like this ‘admirable’ sight:

Red Admiral
I’ve watched you now a full half-hour,
Self-poised upon that yellow flower;

Wordsworth – To a Butterfly.

17 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. we're not in the same realm this year - but love your theme ..

Fun - cheers Hilary

David Robinson said...

Fascinating post Bob. I wish I could get flowers to grow like that.

Marc Latham said...

Nice, hope we get the weather for them...

La Crona said...

Good idea for a challenge Bob! I have also noticed how your followers have increased.

Bob Scotney said...

@ Mattias - there is usually a surge in followers thanks to A-Z each year. The difficulty is in keeping up with them all.

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Bob. Unfortunetly we're still knee-deep in snow, so not much chance of seeing blooms like these for a while yet.

aw said...

Looks like being a nice colourful and cheerful selection, Bob, as the weather decides to catch up with the calendar.
Ann

Bish Denham said...

Lovely! We have aquilegia in our yard like the one with the for-get-me-nots. We call them columbines.

Jo said...

Love your theme Bob. We used to have azaleas all around our house in North Carolina. Love them. Great photos.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Beautiful! I'm doing flowers too, but in a bit different manner. Happy first day of A to Z, Bob.

Kathy M.

Francene Stanley said...

Beautiful flowers and great photos. I can never tire of thinking about flowers. I often wonder why we find them so beautiful. Who taught us the appreciation?

anyjazz said...

Good post. You made me miss my gardening days.

viridian said...

Bob: You and Marcie have inspired me, I am going to do the A-Z challenge also - or as much of it as I can, with my busy work week. Love your flower photos!
Viridian

Marcie said...

Your flowers brighten the gray days we have right now. Good luck for the challenge!

Unknown said...

Great idea for the challenge. Love getting to see these picks. Forget-me-nots are my favorites. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your challenge posts!

New follower...

Kristin said...

Makes me want to go out and plant some flowers. The azaleas are just beginning to bloom here in Atlanta.

Sharon said...

This is going to be interesting. You must have a beautiful garden.

I look forward to reading more.