Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

Moon Shots - Sepia Saturday

I had never had a camera at the time of the moon landings so I have had to resort to postcard pictures for views of the moon to meet this week's prompt.


I managed to get a car or two (if you look hard) in my first moon shot.

Moon over Fort Lauderdale
Next is a shot that you will not be able to take again.

The Ill-fated Twin Towers - New York Manhattan
I haven't been to Fort Lauderdale or Manhattan, but the next shot is at a scene I knew well; shame it does not include the benches on which I've sat.

Stavanger Harbour, Vagen
I did get English newspapers while working there in the 1980s but my newspaper fame came later much nearer home when I made it into The Times. The first occasion was a 'Readers' Reply' column on an etiquette page.

Four years later I made it to the Letters Page; maybe not the coveted bottom right spot but at least bottom right of section on Engineers.


I've enlarged the letter so that it can be read.


If the moon makes you frisky and you feel the need to dance, then perhaps the way to finish is by listening to:


Before you go you should dance across and moon at others at Sepia-Saturday-174

19 comments:

Rosie said...

There is, somehow, a haunting quality to the picture of moon rising in Manhattan. The twin towers silhouetted are no more.... great picture Bob. Loved the song at the end also.

Unknown said...

"Bob's Home For Writing" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/04/sites-to-see_26.html

Kristin said...

I love the letters you wrote to the paper being included! What a great take on the prompt.

North County Film Club said...

wow. you're famous. you're in print!
I enjoyed this post - your letters, the moon photos and of course van morrison.
Nancy

Brett Payne said...

I've never managed to take a decent moon shot - I'll have to learn the trick to it.

Nigel Aspdin (Derby, UK) said...

Sorry...I have to vote for Bazalgette as he used Portland Cement for his London sewers, patented by my GGG Uncle, Joseph Aspdin, in 1824. Second place has to go to Frank Whittle as we are rather into jet engines here in Derby. Third prize goes to the junior engineers and plodders who masterminded the changeover of the Great West Railway from broad gauge to standard gauge without stopping services, more than Network Rail could manage today I am sure.

Jo said...

D'you remember Fife Robertson or was it Fyfe Robinson? he interviewed me once on TV many moons ago, I think I was in my teens at the time. I like all the moon shots.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Unknown said...

Loved the letters to the paper. Gave me a different opinion on the tipping of a boss or owner

Kathy H said...

Love the brilliant moon photo!

Mike Brubaker said...

The moon must be the ultimate photo subject ever. A clever photographer can always take a better photograph just by including its enigmatic glow.

Getting your name in the papers by answering a question or correcting a mistake is always preferred to having your name attached to accusations and allegations.

LLM Calling said...

I love the moon photos, just wonderful

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm going to have to keep practicing moon photos...these are beautiful.

viridian said...

Your name is in the paper! You are famous!;-) Glad to 'know' you through the internet.

Howard said...

Lovely photos Bob, and very funny commentary!

Sharon said...

That is a great photo of the moon with the Twin Towers.

Well Done

Nancy said...

Your moon photos are gorgeous, Bob. It's always interesting to me that the moon can't seem to decide whether to glow gold or silver.

Little Nell said...

Fame at being in The Times is nothing compared with your fame as a blogger of renown. Seriously though well done!

Anonymous said...

I love that song! What a pleasure to listen to it while taking a second look at your photographs.

Bruno Laliberté said...

full moon used to drive me nuts, but not so much anymore. As for dancing, well, I'll pass my turn and let the cow jump over the moon.
:)~
HUGZ