Pages

Sunday 18 April 2021

Sunday Stamps - Statues: Cyprus, Greece

 I found several, but none where I know who the statue represents.

Cyprus - 2 September 1968

Issued for the 20th Anniversary of WHO, I guess that this is Aristotle - at least it's the right number of letters in the name.

Greece - 21 November 1966 - Folk art statues

Greece - 28 February 1967 - Greek sculptors

I had hoped to honour Prince Phillip today but the nearest I could get was this miniature sheet Scanned from the collect GB stamps website) showing the memorial to another royal consort.

Great Britain - 24 May 2019

For other statues/memorials visit the links at Sunday Stamps - hero.

5 comments:

violet s said...

I was looking for something for Prince Philip as well... perhaps that will come in later years?
It was nice to be taken to Greece. That is a revealing toga :)

Ana said...

with my basic knowledge of the Greek alphabet, that guy on the first stamp should be Asclepius, the Greek god of Medicine which makes some sense, him being featured on a W.H.O stamp... but I might be wrong :)

Bob Scotney said...

Thanks Ana, that makes sense to me.

Mail Adventures said...

The statue on the 1967 Greek stamp is ''Shepherd'' by George Fytalis (1830-1880). I have another stamp from that set.

Joy said...

I like the Geek folk art stamp and its lettering.