Pages

Saturday 28 April 2018

A-Z Challenge 2018 - British Rivers: 'Y' Yare

In 1949 I was awarded a form prize at Stamford School. The book I chose was 'Coot Club' by Arthur Ransome. It is the story of Dick and Dorothea and their adventures in a yacht, the Titmouse, as they sailed down the River Yare in Norfolk.

The inside covers contain maps of the Norfolk Broads and the Northern and Southern Rivers which are navigable.


River Yare as it runs south from Norwich
You should be able to see the name Buckenham Ferry

Buckenham Ferry on the River Yare -
oil painting by Joseph Stannard (1797-1830)
River Yare by Buckenham Marshes
The Yare is a principal navigable waterway of the Norfolk Broads and flows into and out of Breydon Water.

The Yare's route to the from Reedham to Gorleston-on-Sea
View of Gorleston-on-Sea from South Denes
I've always been a little disappointed that this river which runs through Great Yarmouth is not called the River Yarm. (Yarm is the town on the North East River Tees -see my 'T' post) My visits to Yarmouth have either been on holiday or to catch a helicopter from North Denes heliport when going offshore.

Photo attributions:

  • Buckenham Ferry on the River Yare: Joseph Stannard 1826 painting - Yale Centre for British Art  - public domain
  • River Yare by Buckenham Marshes: 3 January 2009 ex geograph.org.uk by Hugh Venables - CC BY-SA 2.0 Licence
  • View of Gorleston-on-Sea across the River Yare: 13 February 2009  ex geograph.org.uk by Craig Tuck - CC BY-SA 2.0 Licence

5 comments:

J Lenni Dorner said...

Excellent pics with this. Wonderful job on the post. Happy A to Z.

Wendy said...

How nice that the river has been celebrated in that beautiful oil painting. So peaceful and idyllic.

Jo said...

I never managed to get to the Norfolk Broads unfortunately so don't know that area at all. You have certainly managed to make me ashamed I know so little about the country of my birth.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - I don't know the Norfolk area at all ... so this was interesting and to learn about another book by Arthur Ransome ... fun - cheers Hilary

Pat Tillett said...

I always enjoy glimpses of places I'm probably never going to see in person. Especially so, when they are not tourist areas. Thanks for that!