Pages

Saturday 7 April 2018

A-Z 2018 - British Rivers 'G': River Gwash

This short river (only 24 miles) is one I remember with affection. A tributary, it runs through Leicestershire, Rutland and Lincolnshire until it enters the Welland beyond Stamford.


River Gwash just east of Empingham
In the early 1950s I worked on this river helping to keep it clear and to relocate coarse fish (caught by stunning them with electric prods) to encourage the trout. These days it is a river well known with anglers for its trout fishing.


At 'work' in rubber waders
In 1975 the Gwash was dammed to help create the Anglian Water reservoir known as Rutland Water.

Where the River Quash enters Rutland Water
The Gwash's flow is controlled as it exits the reservoir and remains the picturesque river I remember.

River Gwash looking towards Ryhall from a footbridge at Belmesthorpe
In my day we would have had to clean that out!

Photo attributions:

  • River Gwash east of Empingham: 22 April 2007, ex geograph.org.uk, by Graham Horn - CC BY-SA 2.0 licence.
  • Rutland Water (where the Gwash enters): 29 April 2006, ex geograph.org,uk, by Kate Jewell - CC BY-SA 2.0 licence
  • River Gwash towards Ryhall: 28 July 2008, ex geograph.org.uk, by R Croft - CC BY-SA 2.0 licence.

9 comments:

Jo said...

Unless you mention the Thames and the Medway I am going to be astounded by all these British rivers about which I know nothing. The Gwash looks like a pretty river.

Wendy said...

Are those locks in the one picture? I too am amazed that there are so many rivers. I'm now trying to think how many rivers we have just in Virginia - I can't name 26 so I would be at a loss with this theme!

Kristin said...

This one looks like it would be a pleasant place to have a picnic.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - so interesting to see this part of the world and I'm sure I remember Rutland Water being developed ... but am so pleased they left your little river as it was - when it exits Rutland Water ... cheers Hilary

I.L. Wolf said...

Wow, what lovely pictures! Stunning fish with a prod must have been quite an experience!

@IsaLeeWolf
A Bit to Read

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing. I love rivers and find them soothing and inspiring.

viridian said...

Lovely picturesque rivers. A great theme for this year. Glad to see you back in the saddle so to speak for the A to Z challenge. My challenge entries are are at http://viridian61.blogspot.com/ but it's a much more serious theme - mass shootings in the USA.

Deepa said...

Nice read 7 lovely pictures

Tongue Twister for G

Jemima Pett said...

That's the other side of the Wash from me and I don't know the area at all. I keep thing I should go to the Bird Fair at Rutland Water one year... then again I've been thinking that for twelve years...

Looking forward to your choice of rivers for letters, especially W and Y.

Jemima, blogging from A to Z on my writing inspirations