Pages

Sunday 7 July 2013

Sea Creatures - Sunday Stamps

I had to search quite hard to find some sea creatures to show for this week's theme, but was surprised by what I found.

Canada - Bowhead Whale
The bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus) is a baleen whale of the right whale family. It is an endangered species which can grow to 20m in length; the thick bodied species can weight 75 tonnes. It is also know as the Greenland right whale or Arctic whale. It also appears on a stamp from the Faröe  Islands.

Norway - Blekksprut
The Blekksprut (Sepiola atlantica) is a species of bobtail squid found in the North East Atlantic Ocean from Iceland, the Faröes  and western Norway to the Moroccan coast.

Greece - Dolphin Mosaic - 1970
This stamp is from the Greek Mosaics issue and shows a Dolphin Mosaic from Delos island, 110 BC. Now how do I find out who the rider is?

For more sea creatures take a ride across to Viridian's Sunday-stamps-128.


8 comments:

Francene Stanley said...

How fascinating. I've never thought of looking on stamps of the world for sea creatures. Visiting from Authentic Bloggers. http://475035832790540880.weebly.com/blog.html

Jo said...

How about 'the boy on the dolphin' of myth?

Nice to see a Canadian stamp with a right whale on it.

Mail Adventures said...

The Greek mosaic is amazing. I have never received letters from Greece until two weeks ago. Now I'm discovering Greek stamps are really great.

VioletSky said...

(I had a tough time choosing which stamps to use!)
That giant squid is a bit creepy looking. But the dolphin rider is a different rendition from the usual!

Marc Latham said...

Cool creatures; good that they're celebrated in this way.

Little Nell said...

I particularly like the boy on the dolphin. I know the story from school (as a teacher) and it's one of my favourites.

viridian said...

I don't know the boy on a dolphin myth at all! But I love that stamp.
thank you for joining in this week.

Maria said...

The Greek stamp looks like an illustration out of a mythology storybook :)