Pages

Saturday 13 July 2013

Rain - Sepia Saturday

It's hard to work up enthusiasm for rain in the middle of a heat wave as this week's rainy prompt requires.


 A dip in a swimming pool would be much more enjoyable.

Hartlepool Bathing Pool
The open-air swimming pool was opened in 1923. It was badly damaged during the great storm of January 1953, and was never fully repaired. The surviving remains of the pool itself are mostly obscured by seaweed, and all of the shoreward structures have long gone.

'Bathing Pool' area - 1953
A local beauty spot where children were often taken to paddle was Aysgarth Falls in Wensleydale but not on a day when the river was in flood.

Aysgarth Falls
Aysgarth Falls are a triple flight of waterfalls, surrounded by forest and farmland, carved out by the River Ure over an almost a one-mile stretch on its descent to mid-Wensleydale in the Yorkshire Dales of England, near the village of Aysgarth.

In Cornwall the River Fowey can flood quite spectacularly as it did in 2008


Somehow I don't think that there would have been many boat trips round the estuary that day. You would also have been struggling to go for a pint at the King of Prussia.

Fowey Parking - 2008.

It may have been OK for The Beatles to sing.


But for me it's Adele who has the right idea.


Meanwhile while you check out other rainy themes at Sepia-Saturday-185. I have to get ready to take my wife out for a birthday meal.


20 comments:

Jo said...

Happy Birthday to your wife. I gather its not likely to rain any time soon in the UK. I do believe we might be getting some decent weather soon.

Pity about that swimming pool, I guess it would have cost too much to repair it.

ScotSue said...

Your photograph of Hartlepool Swimming Pool reminded me of the open-air one from the same era at South Shore, Blackpool - now a car park.

Wendy said...

The ruin of the pool in 1953 is really very cool -- rather Roman-Greek looking!

Thanks for playing songs by my favorite people!

North County Film Club said...

Is that a castle off in the distance in the Aysgarth photo?
Love the Beatles video. Yes, I think they did invent MTV.
Nancy

Bish Denham said...

We would be extremely grateful for a flood here where we are in Texas. Too bad that pool was never rebuilt, what a great to go swimming. I hope you had a most lovely dinner with your sweetie.

Dang those Beatles were young! I guess I'm getting old. :)

Brett Payne said...

"Rain ... just a state of mind," he said. Those bathing pools seem to have been very popular in England between the wars. I came across photos of several when researching the Blackpool and Liverpool pleasure resorts.

Mike Brubaker said...

Raindrops are not always gentle and soft. In North Carolina we are now at a record rainfall that has already exceeded 200% of the normal annual total, with 6 months more to come. Quiet mountain streams have become torrents and houses built on steep slopes are threatened with sliding downhill.

Bob Scotney said...

@Nancy - Not a castle, I'm afraid. Just the village church.

Unknown said...

!)gnos eht ekil od I tub( niar ekil t'nod I

Alan Burnett said...

It is boiling hot here at the moment Bob (and no doubt it is a few miles further north where you are). On such days it is always difficult to cool down. But there are few things able to conjure up a cold shiver more than a picture of Hartlepool Open Air Sea Swimming Pool. Brrrrr

diane b said...

Lots of rain water there. Shame about the pool. Hope you had a nice birthday dinner.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I couldn't figure out what to do with the prompt picture ... I really enjoyed your ideas and photos.

Hope that your birthday was wonderful!

Kathy M.

La Nightingail said...

The picture of Hartlepool Bathing Pool reminds me of the Fleishhacker Bathing Pool in San Francisco. Perhaps Hartlepool was the inspiration for Fleishhacker as it was completed in 1925. Like Hartlepool, the Fleishhacker pool was damaged in a storm in 1971 which led to its closure. It was 1000 by 150 feet & held 6,500,000 gallons of heated seawater & could accommodate 10,000 bathers at a time. I saw it several times when I was young as it was right next to the zoo & the ocean. Now, it's simply a parking lot for the zoo. Such a shame.

Anonymous said...

So many of us have either way too much rain - or where I am in Texas - way too little rain. Enjoyed your pictures and the great music too.

Little Nell said...

Sorry about the timing Bob but the prompts are decided weeks ahead! Anyway I enjoyed all your watery pictures and songs.

Tattered and Lost said...

That pool makes me think of one that used to be in San Francisco called the Sutro Baths. It was enormous and quite spectacular. Alas, like the pool you show, it is long gone. I never saw it when the structure was still standing, only the remnants of it sitting next to the Pacific Ocean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutro_Baths

Bruno Laliberté said...

A fine post,
and I do hope it didn't rain on your wife's birthday:

http://youtu.be/-Yfh_CpA9Sk

:D~
HUGZ

North County Film Club said...

Water,water, everywhere!
Happy birthday to your wife. I hope it was a nice one.
Barbara

tony said...

Perfect Places For Hot Days..By The Way Bob,My Wife Cathy was asking me today,do you know if they still have that Open-Air Lido in North Yorkshire (in Ingleton?).Another perfect place.

Bob Scotney said...

tony - there is still an open air swimming pool at Ingleton although I haven't been there. Check out www.ingletonpool.co.uk ; therealso have a facebook page - ingleton.pool