Pages

Sunday 5 May 2019

Sunday Stamps K4 - Great Britain

When I was at school in the 1950s if you misbehaved a master or a prefect could issue you 'copies'. These had to be completed in your best writing on blue paper which had to be obtained from your House Master - in my case that meant having to collect the paper from the head table at lunch time.

I have always remembered one of the lines to be copied -
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever."
It was some years later that I found out that this was the opening line of a poem by -

Great Britain
This was issued in on 28 July 1971 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death.



Great Britain - 13 September 1972
I guess we all have heard of Marconi and his roll in the development of the radio. I did not know that it was George Kemp, a Welshman, who played an essential part in the first experiments in sending messages -- Something-in-the-air.


Great Britain - 16 January 1980
I used to see the kingfishers on the River Chater in Rutland when I was boy but unfortunately I can't remember when I last saw one on the Tees - now my much bigger local river.

There is a white water centre on the Tees by the Tees Barrage. Kayaks use it too.To see the connection to 'K' stamps please visit Sunday-stamps-k.

5 comments:

violet s said...

Oh, that is one lovely kingfisher!
Whenever I see a profile of Keats, I can't imagine him as anything but a poet.

Joy said...

The poem story brought back my memory of having to write out Southey's Cataract of Ladore, lots of rhyming words which are still in my head. I enjoyed the Marconi link what an entertaining story of a piece of scientific endeavor.

Ana said...

Lovely Kingfisher! I dont know if I had ever seen one in my life actually (partly cos Im not so savvy in recognizing birds)

We read a lot of Keats poetry at University - even though Im not that much into poetry, I found his ones to be nice. That is one really nice stamp dedicated to him!

Mail Adventures said...

It's coincidental that I visited the tomb of Keats last week!

FinnBadger said...

A superb set of stamps this week. Love the Keats one. It holds up very well with the design of modern stamps.