Pages

Sunday 28 April 2019

Sunday Stamps J4 Denmark, Indonesia, USA

I led a lot of training courses in Denmark but never visited one of the country's UNESCO World Heritage sites which has a large stone ship, two large burial mounds and the Jelling standing Rune stones. This stamp is from a landscapes series.


[Landscapes, type LA]
Denmark - 30 June 1977

Jakarta was the venue of the first Games of the New Emerging Forces (GANEFO) set up by Indonesia in 1963 as an alternative to the Olympic Games. The 36 member GANEFO sporting federation established in the same year only held one subsequent event - in 1996.

Indonesia issued a series of stamps to commemorate the Jakarta games.

[Games of the New Emerging Forces, Jakarta, type PH]
Indonesia - 10 November 1963

The following stamp commemorated a 50th Anniversary in 1968 but the Curtiss JN-4D plane was nicknamed 'Jenny ' because of its designation letters. It was the US's favourite training aircraft during WWI.


USA 15-5-1968
For more 'J' related stamps fly over to Sunday-stamps-j.html

4 comments:

Joy said...

Jelling sounds an interesting place to visit, I vaguely remember the stone featuring on a Danish stamp.

violet s said...

I like the pale colours of Jelling.
That plane looks like it is flying in its own cloud of smog.

FinnBadger said...

Three fascinating subjects I've never heard of - thanks for expanding my horizons yet again.

Mandy said...

I love your stamp theme for A-Z. I have a collection of US stamps I got from a local stamp store. It's so much fun using them on letters. Obviously, they have no worth beyond the cost of the stamp, though. I don't have any stamps from any other countries…

With Love,
Mandy