Pages

Sunday 7 April 2019

Sunday Stamps 'G4' Guernsey, Hungary

To continue my recent animal theme I had to go to Guernsey famous for the - 


The Guernsey cow was first recorded as a separate breed around 1700. Import of foreign cattle to the island was banned in 1789. The English Guernsey Cattle Society was established  in 1884 to provide a record of the ancestry of imported Guernsey cattle.

I have been unable to find out when this minimum postage paid stamp was first issued.

When it comes to garden birds this is one, on a Hungarian, stamp that frequents our garden throughout the year - although it colours are not as vibrant as this.

Hungary - 18 December 1961
Great Tit
You can examine other 'G' related stamps by following the links at Seeitonapostcard.-g.

7 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - loved reading about the Guernsey cow ... that didn't come up in my (very basic) research two years ago on British Rare Breeds ... I really should add a note in to my C for Cow post ...

Hungary - I'd love to visit one day ... the Great Tit must be a male! Brightly coloured.

Cheers and enjoy Spring springing - Hilary

FinnBadger said...

You always manage to come up with really interesting stamps - almost always ones I have not seen before.

Mail Adventures said...

I love the bright and vibrant colours on these stamps.

violet s said...

I only recently discovered that this bird is what we call a 'chickadee'! (from the same family)

Joy said...

I imagine the Guernsey cow is enjoying relaxing in the rich spring pasture while chewing sweet grass. The cow is a regular Guernsey stamp subject but this stamp is not one I have seen before.

Geoff Maritz said...

Hi Bob.
Popped in from the A to Z challenge and am intrigued. My parents collected stamps a long long time ago. They had stamps from all over the world, some of them very valuable. No idea what happened to their collection.
I like your blog, very interesting.
Blessings to Bob from Geoff in South Africa.

Nilanjana Bose said...

How very interesting. I used to collect stamps a long time ago, passed on my albums to younger people some years back. Lovely colourful stamps for your post here. :)

All the best for the rest of the challenge.