Pages

Sunday 31 March 2019

Sunday Stamps F4 USA, Great Britain

Last week I started with an Elk; this week it's another of my favourite animals - 

USA  - 11 August 1998
I went to University in Scotland in the 1950s; St Andrews is located on the coast of Fife. I don't remember ever seeing an architectural style like this.

Great Britain - 11 February 1970
Harling is a rough cast wall finish consisting  of lime and aggregate notable for its very rough texture. Many Scottish castles are finished with harling which protects against a wet climate and eliminates the need for paint.

For other 'F' related stamps please visit the links at Sunday-stamps-f.

8 comments:

Joy said...

I like the fox, the texture of the stamp looks as though one could almost stroke the fur.

Mail Adventures said...

I like to see architecture represented on stamps. That fox sems real!

FinnBadger said...

Love that Fox stamp, I haven't seen it before.

And that info about harling was really interesting - thanks for sharing it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - love the Fox ... never heard of Fife Harling ... but so interesting to know about - cheers Hilary

violet s said...

My memories of Fife buildings is much greyer.
Love the fox - we are seeing more of them in my city and that makes me very happy.

Heleen said...

Both stamps are beautiful - and thank again you for letting us learn new things. Lime to help protect the walls against wet climate, it seems good to try, also in our rather wet climate country.

shirley dietz said...

What an interesting theme! Is it hard to find all this information and get pictures of the stamps? I found all of the images so colorful and rich. Visiting from A to Z. shirleyjdietz.com/04/10/2019/indians/ My Grand Canyon Adventure

Bob Scotney said...

Shirley - all the stamps are scanned images from my collection. Information - thanks to Google usually.