Pages

Sunday 17 March 2019

Sunday Stamps D4 USA, Great Britain

The 200th anniversary of the British assault on Fort Duquesne, held by the French, was commemorated  in 1958.

USA - 25 November 1958
The British were led by Brigadier General John Forbes. Among his troops was a contingent of Virginians under the command of Colonel George Washington who later became one of the founders of the USA, and President of course. 

The French abandoned the fort which was subsequently rebuilt as Fort Pitt (named after the British Prime Minister at the time.) Now it is the location of the city of Pittsburgh. PA.

With pride and without prejudice my second 'D' is a character from Jane Austen.

Great Britain - 22 October 1975
Mr Darcy
No damp shirt there for him as depicted on TV

And much drier here - 

Great Britain
This was from a set of 4 (issued on 9 March) depicting Geographical Regions. I have been unable to find the location of the desert on the stamp. That year all but 15 of the countries in the Commonwealth issued stamps for Commonwealth Day.

Finally there is a bird that would not be happy in the desert - 

Great Britain - 16 January 1980

It would have been much happier in that lake where Mr Darcy got his shirt so wet.

You can dip into other 'D' related posts at Sunday-stamps-d.

7 comments:

Joy said...

I like the hat waving going on in the US stamp. Never knew that is how Pittsburgh got its name.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - a few interesting things here ... Pitt for Pittsburgh - makes sense, but I had no idea! The desert looks so Australian ... but who knows. Your Mr Darcy - wouldn't be 'no heart-throb'! but is better wrapped up for the weather. Cheers Hilary

FinnBadger said...

Great stamps today - something for everyone. I think my favorite is the commonwealth stamp. I wonder if the stamps are supposed to not depict a specific place, but perhaps represent all deserts in the Commonwealth?

Ana said...

haha, that's some conservative Mr. Darcy - makes a pretty fine stamp though.
The bird is however my favourite of these today :)

Mail Adventures said...

I really like that desert stamp, the colurs are stunning. But I'm also partial to Mr Darcy...

Heleen said...

I love the large amount of the colour blue in te first two stamps, they match!

The bird is lovely, and its name is new to me.
Thank you for sharing!

violet s said...

That would not be my ideal Mr Darcy...
the bird is cute, though.