Pages

Sunday 29 April 2012

Postage - Sunday Stamps

1949 saw the 25th Anniversary of the Universal Postage Union for which Great Britain issued a set of four stamps - 2.1/2d blue; 5d violet, 6d purple; 1s brown. I only have one of these:

Universal Postage Union - 1949
For the hundredth anniversary of Sir Rowland Hill, the postal reformer, there was a set of four multicoloured stamps - again I have only one, that of the man himself. The set contained 10p Sir Rowland Hill; 11p General Post c 1839; 13p London Post c 1839; 15p Uniform Postage 1840.

Centenary of death of Sir Rowland Hill
I was disappointed that I do not have anything relating to stamps themselves but did find some post boxes. I just don't know their year of issue (hope someone can tell me.)

Christmas Post
Thanks to the postmark showing a postcode I know my last stamp was sent from Teesside in 2002.

Postbox
I must say I thing the colour on this stamp is a bit on the pale side.

For more postage stamps and things don't forget to visit Viridian's Sunday Stamps 68


8 comments:

Helen said...

Nice stamps! My favourite is the one with the birds in the snow. Very bright and colourful and cute.

Jo said...

I agree, that is a lovely Christmas stamp

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

The birds and the letter box are from Christmas 1983. I agree with you about the last stamp being rather pale. It could have been a very striking stamp.

viridian said...

I like the Christmas birds too. Interesting to me is how post boxes are different shapes and colors in each country. If I didn't notice, I would put my cards in a blue box (which would probably be a trash barrel).
thanks for joining in.

VioletSky said...

That last one is a bit pale - I remember these post boxes as being a very bright red.

the postbox with the birds is also my favourite!

Postcardy said...

I think the King looks out of place on the 1949 stamp.

Marcie said...

I just love the red mailboxes!

Joy said...

The Christmas stamp is a beautiful concept. The last postbox must at the end of its painting cycle ready for a lick of paint:-) Or perhaps its because it is engraved (Czeslaw Slania) and the lines have taken out the colour.