Pages

Friday 31 July 2015

Far From Home - Thematic Photography

I've had to raid my archives again from the pre-digital era, 1980 in fact.

Father and daughter on the harbour wall - Heraklion, Crete
Heraklion
Heraklion is the capital of the Greek island of Crete.

The photographer was not aware of the passerby that muscled in on the next shot.


Despite staying in a modern hotel (well modern in 1980) outside Heraklion we seemed to spend a lot of time at another establishment.

Villa George on the beach
That's George in the cap on the right. His beer was cheap.

If you ever go to Crete the place to visit is the ruined Palace of Knossos which dates from around 2000BC. My efforts with a camera there were so appalling that I only have one shot 'good enough' to show.

Toreador fresco, Knossos
Of course the sun always sets in places that are far from home.

Cretan sunset
I'm hoping that the skies are as clear tonight so that I can get a shot of something that is really far away  - the Blue Moon of July.

Meanwhile I'll just have to be content with others' places far from home found by following the links at Carmi's Thematic-photographic-343.

2 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - love to see the younger you and the family photos ... I've never been to Crete - one day I hope ... cheers and enjoy the weekend - Hilary

Gilly said...

We loved Crete - stayed at Rethymnon, but visited Heraklion. Knossos was great! Ah, those were the days!!