Pages

Thursday 24 April 2014

A-Z Challenge - 'U'


U - Utility Group Dogs - Poodle, Schnauzer

It's thanks to Crufts 2014 that I have found some dogs to include for 'U'. The dog that won the Best of Breed title for the Utility Group this year went on to become Best in Show. It was a black Standard Poodle named Ricky but I can find no photos of him to use so let's look at some others instead.
Standard Black Poodle haircut
(21 April 2011; by Inbalsigal - CC BY 3.0)
Ricky was shorn so that his rear end looked naked, so much shorter that the dog in my photo. Apparently the Poodle is a water dog and the commentators said the haircut, more like that of my next dog, is to give it extra buoyancy.

Utility Poodle
To me it's just that someone has decided that this is the way it should look. I wonder what would happen if it became the fashionable thing for people to dress to show their naked backsides.

These dogs, also in the Utility Group, look much more natural and attractive.
Two Miniature Schnauzers (female/male)
(30 May 2013; by Hakatas = CC BY-SA 3.0)
Schnauzers originated in Germany in the 15/16th century. Their name derives from the German word for "snout." The official colour of these two is "Salt and Pepper."



5 comments:

Anne Young said...

It does seem a bizarre haircut, and utility would not have been my first thought when looking at the haircut.

Regards
Anne
http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au/

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. my SIL has poodles unshorn ones! Usually black .. but one of the series came through red-chocolate .. and she was left unshorn as it was freezing - her coat looked more like a Rastafarian .. just fantastic to look - and she was a delightful dog to be around ..

The Schnauzers, Salt and Pepper, look as you say just natural and fun .. aren't they 'pretty' .. love the look of them.

Cheers to your U for Utility Dogs .. Hilary

Julie Flanders said...

I think the poodle haircuts are so silly. My dog is half poodle and he would die if I ever tried to cut his fur like that. :D

Jo said...

I've always hated that clip for a poodle, much prefer the puppy clip. I love schnauzers, know a couple over here.

Sharon Himsl said...

Never could understand the poodle cut either. Quite ugly. Schnauzers are the best :)
Shells–Tales–Sails