Pages

Wednesday 23 April 2014

A-Z Challenge - 'T'


T - Tibetan Terrier, Border Terrier, Bedlington Terrier

Although this was meant to be a 'Terrier' post, the Tibetan isn't a Terrier at all.


Tibetan Terrier - Sasha
Originally bred by monks almost 2000 years ago, the Tibetan name for this dog is Tsang Apso - shaggy or bearded (apso) from the province of Tsang.

Sasha featured in my North Yorkshire Dogs series here. I don't see her anymore as her owners have moved away. But this is her on her favourite perch.

Sasha at home
The Border Terrier is an energetic dog  and is essentially a working terrier, bred as a fox and vermin hunter, They originated in and take their name from the Scottish borders region.

They always seem to be keen to meet people even when they are out for a run on a lead.

Border Terriers
These two always stop as they remember that I once gave them a treat.

The Bedlington Terrier is named after the Northumberland mining town of Bedlington in North East England and were bred initially to hunt vermin in the mines.

These terriers look like lambs from a distance and have a characteristic pear-shaped head.


I meet one that lives in the village.



Bedlington Terrier - Billy
And two others, usually out for a six-mile walk.

Curly (who is blind)
His real name is Henry, but everyone calls him Curly. He has been blind for three years but has no trouble getting about with his companion whose rear end you can just see above


Curly's companion



8 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - interesting how many dogs were bred to hunt vermin .. love the photos of all your breeds - and what a lovely way to walk around the village and meet friends and their human owners ...

Cheers Hilary

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

The abundance of breeds you've met (and photographed) astounds me.

I wish I could carry my camera when I walk my three pups. But the camera is only practical on days we go unleashed. Sigh.

Julie Flanders said...

I love that Curly has been able to adapt and still goes out with his friend. How cute. I never knew there were so many kinds of terriers!

Tronster said...

Hi Bob, Great read. I enjoyed the posts of the Labs too. I have a lab, a beagle, mut, and border collie. All have been great companions.

Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge.

www.tronster.net

Jo said...

I love the Tibetan Terrier. Most attractive looking. As Hilary says, amazing how many were bred to hunt vermin.

Great dog pix as usual.

Lisa said...

I like the look of all of these, especially Curly. He is adorable, and so is his companion. Six miles a day! Wow. Of course if I lived in the UK I'd want to walk a lot too... So much to see and experience. Do the Border terriers have a lot of energy?

Bob Scotney said...

Lisa - the Border Terriers run round the same six mile loop that the Bedlingtons walk round.

Sharon Himsl said...

Sasha reminds me of my Tillie...a terrier/poodle mix (or so I was told). Her tail and face especially.
Shells–Tales–Sails