Pages

Sunday 27 March 2016

Easter/Spring - Sunday Stamps II

I struggle every year with this theme - I've shown flowers, rabbits and cathedrals before. This time I have chosen stamps containing chapels and churches from Scandinavia and Europe.

Finland - Lammi Church - 4 March 1956

The original church was built in 1490/1510. It was initially a Catholic church but converted to Lutheran in the mid 1500s. It's also known as the church of St Catherine of Alexandria.

Le Corbousier was the architect of the chapel on my next stamp from 1965.

France - Chapelle de Notre Dame du Haut, Ronchamp
The building was finished in 1954 and has appeared on a number of stamps of different denominations.

My third stamp shows the national shrine of Bavaria dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

West Germany - Shrine of Our Lady of Altötting, 9 February  1989
For more Easter offerings please visit the links at Sunday-Stamps-II-67

8 comments:

Joy said...

A most inventive take on the theme, I struggled as well.

VioletSky said...

I was hoping for one of those nice Easter egg stamps from Poland, but haven't receive any yet.
It's interesting to see such different styles, yet all instantly evoke a church of some sort. I quite like this engraving of the Le Corbousier church, but the Finnish one is my favourite design, I think.

Mail Adventures said...

I didn't think of churches. It's a good choice, and I love the stamps you posted.

Heleen said...

Nice choice.
I have the German stamp and I never thought it an interesting one (distracted by lighthouse and music and other themed stamps) until I am seeing this one enlarged in your blog today. Really a beautiful design! Thank you for sharing, Bob, and for opening my eyes!

Ana said...

I like your interpretation of the theme...churches were like not even close to coming to my mind :)

FinnBadger said...

Fascinating to see the different styles on these stamps. Happy Easter.

Narayana Rao K.V.S.S. said...

Stamps. Good theme. So far you are the first one doing in this topic.
Good to visit your site as a part of my A to Z visits. My theme Blog Promotion
Welcome to A to Z April Blogging Challenge 2016 - Co-Participant - Nrao - NRao Blogs
@knoltweet
NRao Blogs - 2016 A to Z Challenge Blog Posts
Management Theory Review

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob ... love seeing these churches - I'd love to visit Ronchamp .. and see the Le Corbusier church - it looks fascinating in its design ...

Interesting too the Lammi Church and to see the change from Catholic to Lutheran ... Cheers Hilary