Pages

Sunday 24 February 2013

Journeys into Space - Sunday Stamps

The countries issuing space related stamps often surprise you, like these two:

Dominica 
Dubai
Earlier this week I was posting a letter to my daughter in the USA and there, in the post office counter window was the set of space science stamps which were issued on 16 October 2012.

Great Britain - Space Science
I was quite impressed by them, but when I got them home I was even more impressed by the information on the accompanying card. Here's a sample:-


This is just one panel of the three section folds on the reverse. There is more on the front two sections as well as the stamps themselves. I take back all those rude things I've said about Royal Mail stamps in the past.

Meanwhile for more space adventures you should check out others at Viridian's Sunday-stamps-111.

11 comments:

VioletSky said...

Interestingly, most of the space age stamps I have in my collection do not come from the US or USSR!

That planetary series is awesome.

Joy said...

Yes I like those GB stamps as well, it made a nice change from the repeated themes we get. Also how lucky to have a post office that displays them.

viridian said...

So the royal Mail has sved its reputation. :-) It is a great set, wtih a great card too. the Dubai stamp stamp - I don't know, it looks like the astronauts are sweeping up ashes!
Thank you for participating!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I'm surprised the PO still had those stamps on display. Lucky!

And like you I'm surprised at the countries which have had the theme of space on their stamps.

Ana said...

the space-science set is impressive indeed! And I have that Dubai stamp too :)
Well, not just space-related, but on many themes one would be surprised which countries issue what kind of stamps ... and usually those are great designs :)

Jo said...

Its odd that such countries would do space themes. I agree those astronauts do look as though they are sweeping up. Glad the RM saved its bacon.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Sreisaat said...

Wow, love the GB series! Like you, Saturn is also my favourite planet :)


Postcards Crossing

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

I love the stamp from Dubai!

My Sunday Stamps:Moon,Space,Exploration

Unknown said...

wow.. Very interesting stamps:)

Bish Denham said...

Nice! Interesting that Dubai had a space stamp.

Little Nell said...

Colourful and educational too!