Pages

Sunday 24 January 2021

Sunday Stamps - Poets; Great Britain, USA

 I went to school in Stamford Lincolnshire and travelled many times by train to Peterborough passing through on the way the village of Helpston.

Helpston was the place where the poet John Clare lived. Clare features on one of the 10 stamps commemorating 'The Romantic Poets' issued in April 2020. 


Coleridge, Blake,Scott, Shelly, Wordsworth, Mary Robinson. Letitia Landon, Keats and Byron are the other poets in the series.

I posted my only stamp for John Keats in 'Poetry in Stamps' nearly 10 years ago - you may find it here http://bit.ly/2KGh0N4

Meanwhile The Romantic Poets series has this for him.

Great Britain - 20 April 2020

My 'Poetry in Stamps' post will, if you checked out the link I gave earlier, includes  Theodore Roethke from the USA series for '20th Century Poets'. The whole series can be seen in one sheet - 

USA - 21 April 2012

I must confess that I only recognised one of these - Sylvia Plath.

For more poets today don't forget to check the links at Tekahion Wake on Sunday Stamps

 



4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

The Romantic Poets issue is a favourite. I have been lucky enough to get some of them on letters and postcards from the UK.

On the second series, some poets whose work I haven't read.

violet s said...

I am surprised at how much of Ode on a Grecian Urn I can still remember from school!

Joy said...

I liked the recent romantic poets set and how refreshing that the US set features 20th Century poets.

viridian said...

I posted the USA poets too! Keats is also a favorite of mine.