Pages

Sunday 3 January 2021

Garden Birds in 2020

 The first visitor to our garden in 2021 was this colourful bird - shame it would not look in my direction.

Bullfinch

I keep a spreadsheet of the type of birds that I see in my garden each day. I only saw the bullfinch on two days in 2020. The top ten of the 35 species seen were - 
  • Wood Pigeon - every day
  • Rook - every day
  • Gull - 79% of days
  • Blackbird - 63%
  • Starling - 63%
  • Jackdaw - 51%
  • Collared Dove - 45%
  • House Sparrow - 41%
  • Coal Tit - 40%
  • Blue Tit - 34%
The robin that appears regularly when I'm gardening was next at  30%.

On average we saw 21 different birds each month and 8 each day.

My records go back to 2003/4 - but were less complete back then.

I wonder whether this bird will come back more than the once it visited in 2020.




1 comment:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - fascinating to read and to see your photos ... I'm going to use the bullfinch c/o a card I bought for Christmas for my next post this week ... while the pheasant I'm sure will be back ... until life returns to something more human occupation wise. Glad to see you're well ... take care and all the best for 2021 - Hilary