Pages

Sunday 30 September 2018

Sunday Stamps G3 - France, India, Ireland

In the 1960s President de Gaulle visited the Dunkirk steelworks where I was on a industry exchange scheme from Britain. The night before his visit I was woken up in my hotel by armed police checking on foreigners in the town - a rude awakening indeed.

When he arrived at the works the next day, the workforce left the site!

The President died in 1970, 10 years later this stamp was issued.
France - 8 September 1980
Also in the 1960s, India issued a stamp depicting a plane.
India - Gnat plane - 1967
Apart from Olympic stamps I only have a few stamps with a sporting theme.
Ireland - 27 July 1934
50th Anniversary of the Gaelic Athletic Association
I guess that shinty is the sport depicted.

For more 'G' related stamps please visit Sunday-stamps-g.

8 comments:

Ana said...

been trying to figure out what EXACTLY is shown on that French stamp... seeing the French flag colours... =/

FinnBadger said...

A fun trio of Gs today, thanks for sharing these - I have seen none of them before.

agi said...

i like hearing a personal story in connection with the stamps posted

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - that must hold 'interesting' memories for you of your time as an industrial exchange student ... frightening, but fascinating to look back on. Thanks for sharing with us - cheers Hilary

Mail Adventures said...

I like to read about your memories related to the stamp. Thanks for sharing the story!

violet s said...

I like your story more than the stamp for de Gaulle - it looks rather chaotic.
Airplanes named after insects always make me laugh, just a little. But then, I think, why not.

Maria said...

I'm also very curious about the graphics on the French stamp. Interesting anecdote from your exchange student time!

Joy said...

An interesting time to be living in France, as you found out! Apart from the cross of Lorraine and French flag I can't work out the rest of the symbolism but his signature is superb.