Pages

Sunday 7 December 2014

Postal Union Congress - Sunday Stamps

I recently acquired, from my favourite market stall again, a set of stamps first issued on 10 May 1929.

King George V - Postal Union Congress, London 1929
The Congress is the main meeting of the Universal Postage Union which is normally held at every four years. 1929 was the only time it has been held in the UK.

Issues covered at that meeting were the approval of postal paid franking and the establishment of the first airmail regulations.

A £1 stamp was issued at the same time,

(Scanned image from Wikipedia)
As this is valued at £550 by Stanley Gibbons in the used condition I don't expect to see one on my market stall.

This has been a Sunday-stamps. post hosted by Viridian. Visit the links to see what others have selected this week.


6 comments:

Lisa B said...

I'll have to look at my old postcards and 1930s mail to see which of those George V I have, I can tell you now I don't have the £1.
I didn't know about the meeting. Postal history is quite interesting once you get into it.

Mail Adventures said...

Interesting stamps and facts!

Joy said...

They produced some beautifully designed stamps in the 20s and 30s, especially the postal union ones.

Postcardy said...

The £1 stamp is most impressive.

VioletSky said...

I wonder how many £1 stamps were used?!
I have a few Geo V stamps, but none of these. 75 years seems a long time to wait for a chance to host again.

viridian said...

One pound would ship a large package back then, I am thinking. Thank you for participating this week.