The Heugh a peninsula or headland in the North East of England is familiarly known as Old Hartlepool. It may have been an isolated tidal island in prehistoric times. Excavations in the 19th century unearthed trunks of trees believed to be the remnants of an ancient forest. Antlers and teeth recovered indicated that deer inhabited the area in those earlier times.
The Anglo-Saxon name for Hartlepool was Heret eu or Stag Island. This refers either to the shape of the headland or indicates the presence of forest deer. Heret eu later became known as Hart, a district covering the Heugh and the nearby villages of Hart and Billingham. The word ‘pool’ was added to distinguish the headland from Hart,
In the 13th century the port and fishing town of Hartlepool was fortified by defensive walls built round the headland. Some parts of Hartlepool’s ancient wall remain, including Sandwell Gate.
|Sandwell Gate 1908 (unused postcard)|
Photographer Alfred Price
A modern photo from Flickr shows the gate in recent times:
(ex flickr - by twiggles - CC BY-NC 2.0 license)
The postcard appears to be one of a series of local Heritage Prints by Alfred Price (1890-1912)