Pages

Sunday 21 September 2014

Mammals - Sunday Stamps

I have used many of my animal stamps before and as you might expect a lot of big mammals appeared on stamps from African countries. I'm sure you will recognise these from Benin.

Benin - Lion and African (Cape) Buffalo
The stamps also carry their scientific name - Panthera leo (Lion) and Syncerus caffer caffer (Buffalo).

I had to find out more about Benin and the postmark gave me a clue to the capital city of Cotonou.

These are two stamps from a set of 7 issued on 20 September 1995. The highest denomination (300f) is part of a mini-sheet for Faune Africaine which shows a magnificent elephant.

I acquired two more of the set at the same time.

Benin - Impala and Chimpanzee
Aepyceros melampus and Pan troglodytes are their scientific names.

The International Union of Conservation of Nature's Red List of Threatened Species includes the Chimpanzee which ironically is possibly extinct in Benin.

To see other mammals you should visit the links at Viridian's Sunday-Stamps-188.


7 comments:

Joy said...

All I know about Benin is the bronzes but would be hard pressed to point to it on a map. A nice set of African animals.

Jo said...

I am ashamed to say I have never even heard of Benin. I am sorry the chimp is extinct there. I keep hearing more and more lately about species that are extinct. The macaw being one of them. When will we learn?

viridian said...

I have heard of Benin but I could not pick it out on a map, sadly. thank you for sharing your stamps. It might be time to go to your local market stall?

VioletSky said...

All I know about Benin is that it is in West Africa and is a small country that used to be called something else...
They do have nicely detailed stamps, though.

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

It's my first time to see this kind of stamps. Very neat.

Willa @ Postage Journal

Dănuţ Ivănescu said...

I'm sure that many of you know Benin after its old name, Dahomey. I remember from my childhood beautiful stamps from Dahomey.

agi said...

very nice set...always sad to read about the extinct species (last of northern white rhinoceros, only 4 remaining in the wild :()