I couldn't resist this souvenir envelope when I saw it this week.
The stamps were issued on March 12 1980 to commemorate the opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway.
The five se-tenant stamps show:
- The Rocket in its original design and livery
- The first and second class carriages
- The third class carriage and a two level cattle truck
- The first ever rail drive - a truck carrying its owner's horse box
- A tarpaulin-covered truck for general merchandise with a Post Office Mail van and guard at the rear.
Of course the mixture of passengers and freight was never used; actual trains were one or the other.
To see what others have chosen this week just follow the links at Viridian's Sunday-stamps-160,