Pages

Sunday 2 May 2021

Sunday Stamps: Greece - Hercules

 Normally I would show stamps from a set in denomination order.

Today under the 'labourers' theme they are in the order of the Labours of Hercules. All issued on 16 March 1970 in Greece.

1 Kill the Nemean Lion

2 Kill the Lernean Hydra

4 Capture the Erymanthian Boar

6 Kill the Stymphalian Birds

10 Capture the Cattle of Geryon

Unfortunately there was only 11 in the set and I have so far not matched up the designs for the rest I have. 

?? Centaur?

???

Can anyone help me out with these?

For other 'labourers' visit Sunday Stamps



4 comments:

Joy said...

Lucky you I only have one of the set(the hydra). Maybe the stamp gods will send more my way:)
Yes it is the Centaur Nessus and the last one is 'Combat with the River god Achelous.

violet s said...


I seem to have forgotten most of the labours; it was interesting reading up on them. He also looks as if he has gotten leaner as he progressed through them all.

viridian said...

goodness a lot of killing going on. I only remember the story about the dirty stables. Interesting set.

Mail Adventures said...

I had never seen this set, and I really love it. Anything related to classic Greece would find a place with me!