Pages

Sunday 9 May 2021

Sunday Stamps - Buildings: USA

 I always have to check what sesquicentennial means when I see it describing a stamp even if I can work it out from dates on the stamp itself.

USA - 21 January 1938
Old Courthouse, Williamsburg VA

The Pan Am building in Washington DC appeared on an airmail stamp issued in 1947.

USA - 30 August 1947

The plane is one I have never heard of (Martin 2-0-2), but then it was a long time before I flew with Pan Am. I'm also unlikely to make it to Washington now either.


For buildings from elsewhere visit the Modern links at Sunday Stamps.



4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

Sesquicentennial is a tricky word!

It has been long time since my last flight, too. Luckily, we can trael trough stamps.

Joy said...

I never knew that was the Pan Am building, fascinating.

violet s said...

I like the word sesquicentennial. It isn't used often enough ;)
The old courthouse looks very American, to me.

Ana said...

and the first definition google gives you is 'relating to a sesquicentenary' - very helpful, haha. But at least I learned a new word today :)

It is nice to see the building on the stamp also featured in reality, to make the comparison :)