Pages

Sunday 1 November 2020

Sunday Stamps - Front Line Workers: Great Britain, Iceland

I understand hat a number of countries will issue stamps relevant for these COVID times. However I have been disappointed to find that we do not really have many stamps that address front line workers at all.

the Salvation Army provides support to many and their centenary was celebrated as long ago as 1965.

Great Britain - 9 August 1965

A set of stamps  was issued for the police, 150 years after it was formed.

Great Britain - 28 September 1979

When it comes to nurses I could only find a District Nurse - in a set commemorating the centenary of the first telephone call.

Great Britain - 10 March 1976

For a stamp depicting a nurse  I had to visit Iceland - 

Iceland - 19 June 1970

 and that was for the 50th anniversary of the Icelandic Nurses Association.

To see front line workers found by others just visit the links at Sunday Stamps.

4 comments:

viridian said...

Lucky you to find any nurses stamps at all!

Mail Adventures said...

You find some interesting stamps, eventually. I've seen on the net some covid-related issues, but I haven't got any of them.

violet s said...

These all seem to represent calmer times, don't they?!
I like the colours on the district nurse stamp.

Joy said...

I like the district nurse on the phone, you did well in the end finding all the workers.
Thanks for your comment about https, my blog is actually set up with that but blogger won't allow me to use it as the link you click on so I have to drop the s and it works. I have no idea why.