Pages

Sunday 1 March 2020

Sunday Stamps - Lions or lambs: India. Iran

They say that March comes in like a lion but goes out like a lamb. All I can say is that this year March came in earlier in February with the very strong winds and there are no lambs about, with the latter rather like my stamps. Even the lions proved a bit sparse too until I found four back to back.



This became the official Emblem of India in 1950. It is a representation of the Capital on the Ashoka Pillar. The Lion Capital of Ashoka itself now resides in an Indian museum; it was carved out of a single block of polished sandstone.

The Capital appears on India's official postage stamps.


India - 1957
I found another design also showing the Capital with detail I hadn't noticed until I scanned this stamp.

India 1967
I'd missed that Refugee Relief completely.

From Iran I found a different lion - 

Iran - 1950 to 1976
This was a postal tax stamp issued to benefit the Red Lion and Sun Society of Iran. The Society was established in 1922 and admitted to the International Red Cross and the Red Crescent Movement in 1923. Because of its association with the late Shah it was replaced with the Red Crescent as in other Muslim countries.

For real lions and hopefully some lambs check out what others have posted by following the links at Sunday Stamps - lion


5 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I didn't know about the Red Lion and Sun Society of Iran. That lion is scary!

violet s said...

The Iranian Red Lion looks a wee bit more menacing than one would expect of the Red Crescent Society!
I'm always impressed by massive carvings out of one block of wood or stone.

Joy said...

I like the Iranian stamp with its green rays.

FinnBadger said...

These vintage stamps are fantastic.

viridian said...

Great Stamps!