Pages

Sunday 29 March 2020

Sepia Saturday - Seaside Social Distancing

It has been a long time since I last contributed to Sepia Saturday but obeying Boris's call to stay at home forced me to tidy up my office. In the process I came upon a postcard from the seaside town of Ilfracombe on the North Devon Coast.


No vehicles in sight so these promenaders did not drive to the beauty spot. The bandstand appears to be empty and there is no sign of ice cream stalls.

Whether social distancing was practised in those days it's hard to tell.

The hill obscures the sea I think and that's the closest I can get to matching this week's 


7 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Well done Bob - clever matching up ... lots of clearing up to do - cheers Hilary

virginiaallain said...

Enjoyed your post (good picture). Yes, the stay-at-home dictate is going to lead to lots of genealogy and family history work. It seems like it is the best way for me to distract my mind from the anxiety of all this.

La Nightingail said...

Holy coo! That's one heckuva climb up the zig-zags to catch a glimpse of the sea! Interesting early-years postcard. Would probably look more inviting in color. I wonder if the chunk out of the hillside is the result of a slide or mining?

SUSAN KELLY said...

That's a great photo. Stay healthy!

Mike Brubaker said...

Very neat match. Almost a reverse viewpoint of the artist's perspective of Bridlington. And nice to have you stop by this Saturday, Bob. Maybe with more house confinement you'll find some more photos hiding behind the bookshelf.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my goodness, I am thinking of those poor women all squeezed into so many layers of clothes, and how they might very well have gotten out of breath climbing that hill!

Wendy said...

Hey Bob! I've been watching a lot of British tv shows on Netflix. When I was watching "Broadchurch" I could hardly pay attention to the dialogue for staring at the cliffs beside the beach. Here in Virginia it is flat, flat, flat. Your postcard reminds me how different the terrain is from what I am used to.