Pages

Sunday 22 December 2019

Sunday Stamps - Christmas (Religious); USA

Two paintings fit the theme this week and both reside in museums in the USA.


USA - 13 October 2011
USA - 1 November 1968
Raphael's painting 'The Madonna of the Candelabra' now in the Walter's Art Museum in Baltimore, was painted in 1513.

The 'Angel Gabriel from the Annunciation' by Jan Van Eyck was painted in 1434/1436. His painting of the Annunciation resides in the National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.

For more religious stamps please visit Gifts-of-Magi at Sunday Stamps.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

4 comments:

violet s said...

I am always struck by how big the baby Jesus appears in paintings of Madonna and Child. More toddler than infant.
Gabriel has some nice ceremonial robes.

Joy said...

A very glitzy angel. I think Van Eyck must have loved painting fabrics.
Wishing you and yours a very Happy Christmas.

FinnBadger said...

Merry Christmas!

I have to say I find the expression on baby Jesus' face a bit disturbing on the Raphael stamp.

Mail Adventures said...

As I wrote in other comment, I like a lot the classics for Christmas. Beautiful ones!