Pages

Sunday 17 November 2019

Sunday Stamps - Insects - Mexico, Great Britain

When I posted this stamp before I wondered what it was the  anniversary of - 


Mexico - 50th Anniversary of the ILO
As I have used up nearly all my butterflies before I just had to include this week one of my all time favourites that is welcomed in my garden at any time.

Great Britain - 12 March 1985
I would never recognise this from its Latin name - Coccinella septempuncata. Ladybirds have been around a long time - I did not realise that the rhyme "Ladybird, ladybird fly away home" has been known in one form or another since 1744.

Now you need to fly away to Sunday stamps to see more insects, linked in the comments.






4 comments:

Ann W said...

Love the ladybird, Bob. Some of our traditional rhymes have been around for centuries but didn't realise how old the ladybird one was.
Ann

violet s said...

Ladybugs are the only beetles I like to see.

... I was possibly in my 20s before I learned that a 'ladybird' wasn't an actual bird!
(had I not grown up with Penguin and Puffin books as a child, but with your Ladybird books I might have realized my mistake sooner!)

Joy said...

Ladybirds always welcome on stamps and in a garden. I enjoy counting the spots as much as I did as a child.

Mail Adventures said...

Ladybirds remind me of my childhood. I'm very happy every time I see them.

I find the design of the bee stamp quite original for that time.