Pages

Sunday 9 June 2019

Sunday Stamps 'P4' - Belgian Congo, Benin, Greece

A flower, one of my favourite birds and a philanthropist feature on my stamps this week.


Belgian Congo - 1952
This is 'Protea lemaire'.

My next stamp is from Benin - the bird has the Latin name 'Pyrrhula pyrrhula' but I'm sure that you will recognise it. A pair visit our garden every year in May when the apple blossom appears.

Benin - 30 July1977
I had problems with reading Greek characters in the name of this man, but tracked him down eventually.

Greece - 5 November 1975
Georgios Rizaris founded a religious organisation in the newly formed Greek state that would educate priests. Today it stands in the Calandri suburb of Athens.


For other 'P' related stamps just cross over to Sunday-stamps-p and follow the links.




3 comments:

violet s said...

I had to verify the bird ... and it seems they like to eat KALE AND QUINOA. that made me laugh!
Proteas are a favourite of mine, as well. I quite like dramatic flowers.

Mail Adventures said...

All three unknown to me... It has been interesting to read about Georgios Rizaris.

Joy said...

I always like repeating Latin names, maybe like New York, so good they named it twice.