Pages

Sunday 17 February 2019

Sunday Stamps Z3 - Tanzania, Switzerland

To bring this A-Z to an end I had to chose two countries with a 'Z' in their name but than found an extra 'Z' associated with them.


Switzerland - 4 February 1963
This building, Zunfthaus zu Waldlueten in Biel, is a guildhall for craftsmen - I haven't discovered which. But now you can see my hidden 'Z'.

I used a butterfly from Tanzania when doing 'X' but you have to look at this stamp to find the 'Z'.


Tanzania - 9 December 1967
The Yellowback Fusilier is a fish on the endangered Red List of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
If you look closely 'Kijakazi Mrembo' appears at the top of the stamp. I have not succeeded in tracing this so far but is it  the name of the stamp's designer? The language appears to be Swahili for beautiful (mrembo) slave (kijakazi). Can anyone help me decipher this?

For other 'Z' stamps please visit Sunday-stamps-z where Zambia may be seen.

4 comments:

violet s said...

I recall entering a rabbit's warren of translation frustration with Swahili on a couple of other occasions! Nothing seems to translate back to the same words in reverse. beautiful looking fish, though :)
And the guildhall building is gorgeous with its turret and onion dome.

Joy said...

It is indeed a beautiful fish, no idea of Swahili but it is the fish name as by tradition a stamp designers name always appears on the bottom left of a stamp (engravers on the bottom right)

FinnBadger said...

Great stamps for today. I was intrigued by your question about the Tanzania stamp. I couldn't find the direct answer (google translate gave me 'beautiful couple') I did search for other stamps in this series, and many of them have one or two words - I get the impression that they are more likely to be the fish names in Swahili rather than the stamp's designer, but certainly can't confirm that 100%.

Nice work getting through another A-Z round.

Mail Adventures said...

Me neither, I cannot help with Swahili.
Congratulations on finishing the A-Z round!